Working with Grub

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Working with Grub

Post by chiefjim »

Tried to surprise my sister with a replacement hard drive setup with Mint 8. Things didn't turn out as desired.

Installed on a IDE drive connected to a eSATA port. Install went without any concerns and the disc boots perfectly - on my machine. However when connected to hers Grub gets confused. To begin with her BIOS doesn't support USB-HD so I had to connect directly to the IDE ribbon cable. My guess is that the Grub settings are looking for something else connected to SDA1 and SDA2.

Now I'm wondering if there might be a way to create a generic Grub listing such as what a Live-CD would use?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
bobcollard

Re: Working with Grub

Post by bobcollard »

chiefjim wrote:Tried to surprise my sister with a replacement hard drive setup with Mint 8. Things didn't turn out as desired.

Installed on a IDE drive connected to a eSATA port. Install went without any concerns and the disc boots perfectly - on my machine. However when connected to hers Grub gets confused. To begin with her BIOS doesn't support USB-HD so I had to connect directly to the IDE ribbon cable. My guess is that the Grub settings are looking for something else connected to SDA1 and SDA2.

Now I'm wondering if there might be a way to create a generic Grub listing such as what a Live-CD would use?
Most likely you are dealing with Grub 2. If so here is a link that may help you:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3106368.0
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

That's way beyond my level to work with.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

chiefjim wrote:That's way beyond my level to work with.
Sorry, it's all I have.
gordon.cooke

Post by gordon.cooke »

Yes Mint8 is Grub2
However when connected to hers Grub gets confused
What exactly happens? Does the drive just fail to boot, or does the grub menu come up but fails to load Mint?
Installed on a IDE drive connected to a eSATA port.
To begin with her BIOS doesn't support USB-HD so I had to connect directly to the IDE ribbon cable.
The problem could be that when you installed (on your computer) the drive was the second drive on the computer but when you put it in your sisters computer it is being recognized as the first drive. So the drive references in grub.cfg are trying to find a drive that doesnt exist. Without more details-- depending on your setup when you installed, it is possible that when grub was installed to the Master Boot Record, it installed to the MBR on your copmuter's main HD instead of the USB drive. In this case the drive youre swapping to the new computer doesnt have a MBR and wouldnt be able to boot.

Along the same vein, if your sisters computer still has its 1st HD and your putting this new one in as the second, then the MBR on the xisting drive doesnt know anything about the new one- in that case it would boot up the same as it used to without the new second drive.

Depending on what the problem is it can be fixed by re-installing grub to the MBR or adjusting the grub.cfg file. HOWEVER- youd likely need a live CD to make the changes, and given that the whole install only takes about 30 minutes, the easiest solution is probably to install the new drive and then just install Mint 8. Unless you did a whole lot of customizing after the install or there is some other reason that justifies taking the time to fix grub.

Return to “Installation & Boot”