How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.2

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.2

Post by octathlon »

SMG wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:44 am Upgrades for spices/applets come through Update Manager. If you have been running updates as they come through and did not blacklist any updates, then I would expect you have the latest versions available.
Thank you, good to know. :D After looking around more, I found that it was starting in Cinnamon 5 that updates now go through the Update Manager instead of System Settings. So the instructions would be less confusing if Step 2 would be removed or reworded.
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

octathlon wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:06 pm After looking around more, I found that it was starting in Cinnamon 5 that updates now go through the Update Manager instead of System Settings. So the instructions would be less confusing if Step 2 would be removed or reworded.
Not everyone updates using Update Manager so those not using Update Manager would need to know this.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
chowder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowder »

Will I lose my installed apps if I update?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

chowder wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:56 pm Will I lose my installed apps if I update?
I do not know what you have installed, but the base version of Ubuntu is the same for LM21.1 and LM21.2.

The desktop environment versions for Cinnamon and Xfce change between LM21.1 and LM21.2.
MATE version does not change.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

chowder wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:56 pm
No. If you are interested for a video guide on how to update, please see this viewtopic.php?p=2351838#p2351838
papioara
Level 2
Level 2

Post by papioara »

Just upgraded, and everything works like before the upgrade. Some icons look different, but that's the only small and unimportant thing which struck me. I upgraded through Update Manager, and my system is quite elaborate and customized. Nevertheless a completely smooth experience, this upgrade. No other updates or tinkering necessary.

Thanks a lot to all the developers who have made this possible!
Tuor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tuor »

papioara wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:36 am Just upgraded, and everything works like before the upgrade. Some icons look different, but that's the only small and unimportant thing which struck me. I upgraded through Update Manager, and my system is quite elaborate and customized. Nevertheless a completely smooth experience, this upgrade. No other updates or tinkering necessary.

Thanks a lot to all the developers who have made this possible!
I had the same problem with the icons, somehow it resumed to normal :).
yermiyahu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yermiyahu »

I have a nubie question. Will I have to d/l my video and txt, and picture files off machine before I upgrade to LM 21.2?
This post was made with 100% recycled electrons
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

yermiyahu wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:20 pmWill I have to d/l my video and txt, and picture files off machine before I upgrade to LM 21.2?
The instructions are in the blog link in the first post. There is no reason to remove video, text, and picture files unless your drive is so full there is not enough room to upgrade.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

SMG wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:33 pm
yermiyahu wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:20 pmWill I have to d/l my video and txt, and picture files off machine before I upgrade to LM 21.2?
The instructions are in the blog link in the first post. There is no reason to remove video, text, and picture files unless your drive is so full there is not enough room to upgrade.
Still, it's always a good idea to make sure all data is backed up before doing something major, such as a major upgrade. "Stuff" happens, you know, so better safe than sorry.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
FenderGuy

Re: Linux Mint 21.2 “Victoria” Cinnamon released!

Post by FenderGuy »

2. Prepare for the upgrade

If you installed Cinnamon spices (applets, desklets, extensions, themes), upgrade them from the System Settings.
My current installation is LM21.1 (Cinnamon) and I want to upgrade to LM21.2 (Cinnamon).

Please excuse my naivete; how can I tell if I have installed Cinnamon spices (applets, desklets, extensions, themes)?
Last edited by SMG on Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link for the fresh install of Linux Mint 21.2 blog post becaue the post is about upgrading and the listed instructions are not in the fresh install blog post
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

FenderGuy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:07 pm
2. Prepare for the upgrade

If you installed Cinnamon spices (applets, desklets, extensions, themes), upgrade them from the System Settings.
My current installation is LM21.1 (Cinnamon) and I want to upgrade to LM21.2 (Cinnamon).

Please excuse my naivete; how can I tell if I have installed Cinnamon spices (applets, desklets, extensions, themes)?
This question has already been answered in this post.

You likely missed it because you originally posted your question in the release announcement for doing a fresh install. I moved your post to the correct location.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

SMG wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:28 pmYou likely missed it because you originally posted your question in the release announcement for doing a fresh install. I moved your post to the correct location.
Thanks, SMG! :wink:
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shortened full post quote of the post right above
alainPannetier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alainPannetier »

Looks like the name of the legacy theme have changed.
So, at first post-upgrade logging in, it's quite disconcerting to find oneself with a grayish look and feel that looks like the late 1990s open desktop fake 3d buttons for some windows.
You're wondering what went wrong: software acceleration fallback? different window manager? NVIDIA driver? etc...
Then you remember the inflicted look and feel changes of the previous upgrade and you guess that "L" stands for legacy in the new names.
I hope we're done with L&F experimentation now.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

SMG wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:44 am
octathlon wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:46 amSorry if I'm missing something blatantly obvious, but can anyone tell me how to upgrade spices/applets?
Upgrades for spices/applets come through Update Manager. If you have been running updates as they come through and did not blacklist any updates, then I would expect you have the latest versions available.
SMG, I had the same concerns as octathlon. Thankfully, I DO apply updates as they become available, so I installed LM 21.2 via the Update Manager, and thus far, I haven't noticed any issues.

I was hoping to see more "visual and functional enhancements", but I surmise that the developers are saving that for the LM 22 release! :wink:
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

FenderGuy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:05 amI was hoping to see more "visual and functional enhancements", but I surmise that the developers are saving that for the LM 22 release! :wink:
For each version of every release of Linux Mint there is a New Features document created which lists all the changes. Scroll down the Linux Mint 21.2 "Victoria" page and click "New Features" for the edition you have installed to see what has changed.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

SMG wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:37 am
FenderGuy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:05 amI was hoping to see more "visual and functional enhancements", but I surmise that the developers are saving that for the LM 22 release! :wink:
For each version of every release of Linux Mint there is a New Features document created which lists all the changes. Scroll down the Linux Mint 21.2 "Victoria" page and click "New Features" for the edition you have installed to see what has changed.
Thanks, SMG! :wink:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod> ianpac's problem report and help request can be found in this thread now: viewtopic.php?p=2356566#p2356566 </mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
midigark
Level 2
Level 2

Post by midigark »

Updated from 21.1 to 21.2 last night.
All went well. :D
Only thing I saw in the info were some directories that could not be deleted, because they weren't empty. (shrugs)
After completion, restart took a little bit longer than usual, but not alarmingly so.
Was just about to start drumming my fingers on the table and the login screen popped up.
No obvious issues.
Good job to all involved.
And Thank You!

Older system:
MSI 7641 V3 / FX6300 / 16Gb DDR3
ASUS USB-BT500 Bluetooth
Nvidia GTS450SC / 390.157 driver / GWE!
4 port SATAIII adapter ASMedia 1064
Mark

5.15.0-102-generic
Cinnamon 6.0.4
Linux Mint 21.3