How many times did you break your first linux install?

Chat about Linux in general
Landmouse
Level 1
Level 1

How many times did you break your first linux install?

Post by Landmouse »

I am a new linux user, and am having the time of my life learning new things and tinkering under the hood of my shiny new LM 8 Fluxbox CE. However, I have now lost count how many times I've broken my system and had to do a fresh install! :oops: I haven't figured out whether to be ashamed or proud, which leads to my question:

How many times did you break your first linux install due to tinkering?
("I break it daily on purpose" is a valid and acceptable answer!)

Edited to change word in title to something less offensive. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Landmouse on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How many times did you bork your first linux install?

Post by Oscar799 »

I broke Mint 7 twice.
Once I was trying to improve my wireless reception and got into a horrible mess with wireless drivers that I was unable to dig my way out of.
My mind has blanked out details of the second incident-it must have been a real horror.
Since then I've had a few hairy moments but I have been able to rescue the situation without having to do a fresh install - I must be learning :D

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I lost count after 8.

I like to fiddle with and tweak my systems so I suffer frequent operater caused breakage. I'm glad Mint is so easy to reinstall and now that I have all of my data and config files in a separate partition with symlinks to /home, reinstalling is even easier.
Registered Linux User 483387

Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Borked many any an install however now I look back I probably could of saved a couple :wink:

Landmouse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Landmouse »

Aging Technogeek wrote:I'm glad Mint is so easy to reinstall...
My Vista partition ate itself via chkdsk and I had to reinstall from DVD...it took 4 hours just to install and get all of the updates from WindowsUpdate (Every time I updated and rebooted, more updates appeared! :x ) I was doing a fresh install of Linux Mint on another computer at the same time, and it took ~45 mins to install and update all lvl 1's and 2's.

Of course to be completely fair, I have spend much more time tweaking LM than I ever did Windows, but that's because 1. I can, and 2. it's fun! My husband is threatening to sneak Windows back on my computer so I'll stop playing with it...

markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How many times did you break your first linux install?

Post by markfiend »

I've never broken my Mint install completely beyond retrieval -- although I've come close. Reinstalling GRUB from a live CD fixed the worst of my blunders.

There's an old saying, if it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough. :wink:
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

gravelbay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gravelbay »

I never broke Mint. But I broke OpenSUSE a bunch of times! :lol: That's where I started with Linux and repeatedly shot myself in the foot.
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. - C. S. Lewis

Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by Superewza »

Erm... three? And counting :p

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

I can very conservatively guess that when I first started I averaged somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 borked systems a week. I'm never happy with anything until I know how to take it apart and put it back together again.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac »

oscar799 wrote:I broke Mint 7 twice.
Once I was trying to improve my wireless reception and got into a horrible mess with wireless drivers that I was unable to dig my way out of.
My mind has blanked out details of the second incident-it must have been a real horror.
Since then I've had a few hairy moments but I have been able to rescue the situation without having to do a fresh install - I must be learning :D
My mind as well has blanked out a few, but I'm probably up to around a dozen (not counting the ones that were so traumatic from personal ID10_T errors, as I have mentioned are blanked out), but remembering to use sudo cp /some/wonderful/settings/file /some/wonderful/settings/file_back has also saved me from a few as well. Wish I used it more, earlier.

But as Landmouse, re-installing it is a blast! Especially if you make yourself an apt-on-cd to help out, i can pretty much do a full recovery in about an hour (depending on the net connection at the time). With the way I like to muck about I have NO doubt I'll break a couple more. :lol:
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I couldn't remember, so I had to go and look over some notes from back then.

My first Linux experiences were with the Knoppix live CD and with a notebook that I bought that came pre-installed with Linspire. I played with those for several months before I ever tried installing Linux.

My first Linux installation was with Mepis 3.4-2 RC1. At the time, I didn't even know that "RC1" meant that it wasn't a final version!

I see from my notes that I did to a few reinstallations during the first few months, but most of my problems stemmed from the fact that I was dual-booting Mepis with XP at the time.

Fortunately, Mepis, even then (like Mint today), was very quick and easy to install, so reinstalling was never a big deal.

I had also installed Mepis by itself on an old, spare computer, and things went fine there, which is one of the reasons why these days I prefer to keep Linux on a different computer, away from Windows. Dual- or multi-booting all Linux is much easier, IMHO, than when Windows is involved.

I can also see from my notes that I was doing a lot of floundering around, trying to figure out how things worked. 4 or 5 years have gone by, and I've come a long way, indeed!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Break my first linux install? My first linux was SuSE 6.1 or 6.2 - can't remember. Not only did I break that install but I managed to destroy the partition table that it and Windows was installed on. You think installing linux is hard? Try installing Windows Windows NT 4.0 from scratch.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

Like many others here, I like to stay on the 'bleeding edge' of Linux.

"If it isn't broken ... I'm not trying hard enough." :lol:
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

hoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoe »

My first distro was back in 2002 and it was Xandros. You just had to look at it the wrong way and it broke. Mepis 3.0 was the first distro I used that gave me the confidence that I could rely on linux for my main computing and ditch XP. Mepis was great and it was only when a later version of Mepis wouldn't give me any sound when using Youtube that made me switch to Mint and here I have been ever since.

I don't play around with other distros anymore or try to run things to the edge ... I just use my computer like most people in the windose world do except that I have all the benefits of using linux.

Wayne

XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by XidCat »

LOL... My first Linux install was Corel... I didn't have to break it... it came that way... :shock:
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4

newfie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by newfie »

I broke my first Linux install. But, I do not think it was my fault. I wanted to dual boot Ubuntu and OpenSUSE to see how it would work. I resized my partitions using gparted, and put SUSE on the new 30 GB partition I made on my 250 GB laptop. I rebooted, and the computer wouldn't go past the HP Splash screen. Gparted showed an entire unallocated hard drive; 250 GB blank.

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac »

XidCat wrote:LOL... My first Linux install was Corel... I didn't have to break it... it came that way... :shock:
LMAO
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

thenewguy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thenewguy »

My first install was Pygmy (based off Slackware) and I don't think I broke it at all. My second install was a Mandrake-based distro called Phat. And I broke it a LOT. I remember one day the glibc library failed to update. The smart thing would have been to leave it. Instead, I decided to manually move the old library to another location and copy the new one in. Oops. I didn't realize at the time that by moving the C library I was breaking every program on the box. Happily I had another install on the drive and copied its C library into place, saving my tuckas.

Stealing_Lillies
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stealing_Lillies »

XidCat wrote:LOL... My first Linux install was Corel... I didn't have to break it... it came that way... :shock:

hehehehehhe....

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

I usually have a tri-boot on my PC.

I just "b0rked" my Xubuntu Lucid 10.04 Alpha 2 ... today!!

If you don't learn anything from this, remember this one thing ... never do a "partial upgrade" :lol: I should have known better.

Now my Xubuntu Lucid A2 won't even open under 'recovery mode'

2nd time my Xubuntu "Lucid" has broken on me. :cry: Oh well, just dig out my 'buntu A2 LiveCD and re-install.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Return to “Chat about Linux”