Startup Directory

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pnachtwey
Level 1
Level 1

Startup Directory

Post by pnachtwey »

I am running LMDE5 with no problems but I would like to be able to choose in which directory a program starts up like I can in Windows or even some other flavors of linux. I can make a .desktop file but I see no place to specify a startup directory.
What I am trying to do is to make it so IDLE ( python editor ) starts in my /home/peter/Documents/py directory instead of my /home/peter directory.
I have played with many Debians with different desktops. Think LXDE allow me to specify the startup directory.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Startup Directory

Post by xenopeek »

You can maybe do that by adding Path=/home/peter/Documents/py to your .desktop file. See: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... 01s06.html

I don't know IDLE but otherwise maybe IDLE itself has a startup parameter for this.
pnachtwey
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Startup Directory

Post by pnachtwey »

Thankes I will try that.
I looked for documentations on the .desktop files but I didn't see where there was a PATH option.
Hopefully that works
I don't see why the PATH can't be set when making the .desktop file instead of having to edit the .desktop file with nano.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”