Why does Linux Mint have a separate lock screen from the login screen?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Positron
Level 1
Level 1

Why does Linux Mint have a separate lock screen from the login screen?

Post by Positron »

Just curious. I noticed that when you lock your screen on Linux Mint Cinnamon, it doesn't take you back to the login screen that you see right after booting up your computer (LightDM) but instead takes you to a different lock screen. If you want to switch users, you are taken back to LightDM.

This seems to be different from the way that other distributions do it. On Ubuntu, when you lock your screen, you are taken back to the desktop manager (or at least that appears to be the case, maybe they just created a lock screen that looks identical to GNOME Display Manager).

Is there any particular reason for the way that Linux Mint does it? I would've thought that there would be no point in spending time developing a separate lock screen. Maybe using this separate lock screen allows you to lock and unlock your computer faster than if the user was taken back to the desktop manager every time...?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why does Linux Mint have a separate lock screen from the login screen?

Post by argentwolf »

Positron wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:40 am
To me it simply makes logical sense, one informs that no users is logged into the system, and the other notifies that there are user(s) already logged in.
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shortened full quote of the post right above
Vanguard debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing whimsically.
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

I think it is more like a historical habit. Early screensaver program was written without dependency on fast user switching capacity. So it remained so in Cinnamon / MATE / Xfce.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

...about historical aspect, I just locked screen in Cinnamon 21.1 and ... TTY was not locked, though cinnamon-screensaver should lock it. Interesting, is TTY is still locked in mate-screensaver.
-=t42=-
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

t42 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:07 am TTY was not locked, though cinnamon-screensaver should lock it
If someone want really lock their session, there is physlock

Code: Select all

sudo apt install physlock
Running physlock in terminal or using ALT+F2 will prevent any attempts of intrusion with TTY.
-=t42=-
N2LM21
Level 2
Level 2

Post by N2LM21 »

argentwolf wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:03 am
Positron wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:40 am
To me it simply makes logical sense, one informs that no users is logged into the system, and the other notifies that there are user(s) already logged in.
What I find awkward as a newbie, is how to customize both consistently. Login screen can be customized going to the right setting window (GUI), but, as far as I understood from another thread, for the lock screen, you need to modify some configuration files (which I do not find easy as a newbie, and due to my limited knowledge, I have not yet dared to test)
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

Sorry, I honestly don't concern myself (never really looked at it before) with the appearance of the screen(s) before I log in, and usually walk away once I've lock the screen.
Heck, while I do have hundreds of wallpapers (721) for my dual monitor (3840x1080) desktop (which changes every 3 mins.). I rarely get to see them for all my open windows across 3 workspaces.
Anyway, welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint Forums, a tinkerers virtual wonderland with like minded swashbuckler's who sincerely attempt to help and learn. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Vanguard debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing whimsically.
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

t42 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:07 am ...about historical aspect, I just locked screen in Cinnamon 21.1 and ... TTY was not locked, though cinnamon-screensaver should lock it. Interesting, is TTY is still locked in mate-screensaver.
Mate-screensaver doesn't lock other TTYs either.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Another interesting aspect:

Currently there is no screensaver setting / power management setting dedicated for login screen, at least none exposed in GUI configuration. Without such, after the computer enter the login screen, it can no longer apply screensaver setting dedicated for the original login user, and stuck until user come back.
N2LM21
Level 2
Level 2

Post by N2LM21 »

argentwolf wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:56 pm Anyway, welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint Forums,
Thank you @argentwolf
argentwolf wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:56 pm (never really looked at it before) with the appearance of the screen(s) before I log in, and usually walk away once I've lock the screen.
I understand, what bothers me is when I come back :D
The field where I type the password is too small to be conveniently seen (I will not comment on eyesight :) or screen zoom level... see other discussion from here: viewtopic.php?p=2370907#p2370907 )

Return to “Non-technical Questions”