Volume controls do not actually control volume

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jorg Wrent
Level 1
Level 1

Volume controls do not actually control volume

Post by Jorg Wrent »

I have a new install of Linux Mint 21.1 MATE, kernal version 5.15.0-76-generic

It is basically out of the box I haven't really changed much, haven't changed or installed anything sound or audio wise.

For some reason my volume control buttons do not change the volume. I will still see the pop up display telling me the volume is changing, but the actual volume in sound preferences (and what I hear) stays the same. Also, clicking the sound icon in the bottom panel and changing the volume also does not work. The only way to change the volume is in sound preferences.

Any ideas on what may be the problem? Or can someone point me to a guide to just installing a different audio program? I am fairly new to Linux

Last edited by LockBot on Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
h3wastooshort
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Volume controls do not actually control volume

Post by h3wastooshort »

For me, the same issue occured after trying to use HDMI audio and going back to analog.
The solution has been to select a different profile for my audio device (for example HDMI) under the "Hardware" tab, then change it back to the original profile.
At least for me, my volume control works again.

Return to “MATE”