Linux Mint 21.2 “Victoria” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 21.2 “Victoria” Cinnamon released!

Post by JosephM »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:13 pm
JosephM wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:34 pm
SMG wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:24 pm I really hope everyone who is upgrading is following the proper procedure of taking a Timeshift snapshot before upgrading.
I'll have to admit I never do this. My important stuff is on a second drive. If it breaks, it breaks. I'll have to be honest though. I've never once had Mint break running the upgrade tool.
There's a first time for everything.
My system is much more likely to fail from other things. I run most of the Mint stuff from git master anyways. So my system is mostly upgraded before it even becomes available. Plus I'm aware that I could break things quite drastically doing dev so I'm set up to just do a fresh install.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: FenderGuy's post about upgrading has been moved to the Upgrade release announcement topic.

This topic is about doing a fresh install. Please post your upgrade comments in the upgrade topic.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

I still find it very distasteful that Warpinator is installed and enabled by default.

By default the local machine should not reach out to anything at all on the network (except maybe the DHCP server) unless explicitly told to do so.

There should NEVER be any part of the OS or any installed software that automatically does anything on the network, whether WAN or LAN.

If networked automation is desired, a user should have to manually enable it, so their intent is clear.

No one should ever find out that things have been going on behind their backs on the network, and wish that they had only known to disable it.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
oswald_c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oswald_c »

mattlach wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:51 pm I still find it very distasteful that Warpinator is installed and enabled by default.
What do you mean by "enabled by default"? When I installed Mint 21.2 on release and wanted to connect to my Android phone with Warpinator, I had to launch the application, click to add firewall rules, and check & amend other settings like the group code. I also had to check & amend settings in the Android app.

By default, my laptop and phone could not connect before I did this.
tflovik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tflovik »

mattlach wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:51 pm I still find it very distasteful that Warpinator is installed and enabled by default.

By default the local machine should not reach out to anything at all on the network (except maybe the DHCP server) unless explicitly told to do so.

There should NEVER be any part of the OS or any installed software that automatically does anything on the network, whether WAN or LAN.

If networked automation is desired, a user should have to manually enable it, so their intent is clear.

No one should ever find out that things have been going on behind their backs on the network, and wish that they had only known to disable it.
I don't think you have tested warpinator because it is not enabled by default, you have to start it up manually on both the machines that will be transferring data and also approve the transfer. This you need to do everytime you want to transfer anything.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Many thanks to the LM teams for all their work on this swell release, and on LM in general.

Having just upgraded to 21.2 (Cinnamon), it occurred to me that Linux(and other UNIX-based and -type OSs) used to be known for their ability to be upgraded "in place" for minimal downtime. So it's curious that we're now asked to reboot the system when upgrading.

It's no big deal (for me, at least), but I can't help wondering: What changed?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”