[ SOLVED] Custom File Emblems in LMDE 6 / Custom emblems in Nemo

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ButchPetty
Level 1
Level 1

[ SOLVED] Custom File Emblems in LMDE 6 / Custom emblems in Nemo

Post by ButchPetty »

Just a quick question: In LMDE 6 is there a way to create custom file emblems?
Thanks
Last edited by ButchPetty on Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
LMDE 6, "Faye"
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Custom File Emblems in LMDE 6

Post by MiZoG »

I do lack expertise in this area. Just a guess.
Emblem icons are found in the installed icons sets in /usr/share/icons. They have the emblem- prefix.
Apparently LMDE uses the emblems from the gnome icon-set. How about adding your own with the emblem- prefix in the corresponding folders?
ButchPetty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ButchPetty »

MiZoG wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:17 am I do lack expertise in this area. Just a guess.
Emblem icons are found in the installed icons sets in /usr/share/icons. They have the emblem- prefix.
Apparently LMDE uses the emblems from the gnome icon-set. How about adding your own with the emblem- prefix in the corresponding folders?
Ive been digging into your suggestion, looking at the possibilities. What I am trying to find now is the folder that the actual "file emblems" are in. Let me explain. If you right click on a folder, any folder, then properties and then emblems you'll see that the emblems offered are always the same. With that being known what I am trying to do is locate that folder, the folder that has those exact same emblems in it. You wouldn't by chance know the location of that specific folder would you? I've been looking and having no luck. Using the linux files search is like watching paint dry at times, it'll drive you bonkers.
Thanks
LMDE 6, "Faye"
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

/usr/share/icons/gnome/
inside every size subfolder (24x24, 48x48 etc), there is an emblem folder.
Those gnome emblem icons are the default in both Mint main edition and LMDE.

I'm accustomed to using the "locate" command in a terminal to find files in my system. locate emblem returned lots of results including /usr/share/nemo-python/extensions/nemo-emblems.py which seemingly is the configuration file for the extension that adds emblems to Nemo.

You can ask an admin to move this thread to Customization subforum so the right people might see it. It doesn't matter you are on LMDE. And change the title to something like "Custom emblems in Nemo".
ButchPetty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ButchPetty »

MiZoG wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:17 am /usr/share/icons/gnome/
inside every size subfolder (24x24, 48x48 etc), there is an emblem folder.
Those gnome emblem icons are the default in both Mint main edition and LMDE.

I'm accustomed to using the "locate" command in a terminal to find files in my system. locate emblem returned lots of results including /usr/share/nemo-python/extensions/nemo-emblems.py which seemingly is the configuration file for the extension that adds emblems to Nemo.

You can ask an admin to move this thread to Customization subforum so the right people might see it. It doesn't matter you are on LMDE. And change the title to something like "Custom emblems in Nemo".
Thanks for the reply. :) Following your tip I traveled down the rabbit hole a little further and ran into "plugins". That took me in a direction that I really didn't want to go. However, using that information I used this as a search term: ( "nemo emblems" plugin customizing ) and found this great post (see below) and that was exactly what I was looking for. Now I think I can achieve what I was trying to do.
As for moving the post I would rather not because I would never have found it there. I use LMDE and I'm trying to find work-a-rounds in LMDE so this is the natural place to look. I will add to the title as you suggested. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Have a great day. :D

The link that solved my puzzle: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo-extensions/issues/166
LMDE 6, "Faye"
Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”