Daily Show crashes *all* browsers in Mint/Ubuntu...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Daily Show crashes *all* browsers in Mint/Ubuntu...

Post by VtPoet »

Just wondering if others are having this issue?

I've tried running Flash 10.1Beta. Daily Show will play, for about a minute, then Firefox will just vanish.

10.1 is also very crash prone (within the one minute mark) when playing at a site like Hulu.

If I use Flash 10.0.X, Hulu works, but all and every browser in Mint (including Chrome) will lock up with Daily Show. I assume it's a Flash issue, but what is it about Daily Show?

How does Mint8 KDE work along these lines? I would switch if it mysteriously worked. I only use this computer for games, family and online TV.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Daily Show crashes *all* browsers in Mint/Ubuntu...

Post by remoulder »

Sorry no idea what Daily Show is.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

US only videos I assume so no good to me.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

remoulder,

Just wondering, what was the point of you posting in this thread?

OP,

Are you using the 64-bit version or the 32?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Kaye wrote:remoulder, Just wondering, what was the point of you posting in this thread?
:D Absolutely none in retrospect, but the OP was assuming readers would know what the daily show was, I didn't but thought I might possibly be able to help.
Last edited by remoulder on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Not all are from the US, so not all would know, or understand the show/stream in question causing the issue.

Does this occur on this site only, or others as well? Is your system completely up to date? Have you tried other browsers, not just Firefox?
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

Midnighter wrote:Not all are from the US, so not all would know, or understand the show/stream in question causing the issue.

Does this occur on this site only, or others as well? Is your system completely up to date? Have you tried other browsers, not just Firefox?
So far, it only occurs with Daily Show Videos. The system is completely up to date. I even installed the latest Firefox Build (3.6) straight from Ubuntuzilla and tried Adobe's 10.1pre. As I wrote in the subject heading, streaming the Daily Show crashes all browsers. I assume it's a flash problem. It happens on both my Mint box and my Ubuntu box (two different computers).
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

Just a thought, head here http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/shows/sh ... x?sid=3350

and see if any of those videos play, as I cannot watch the original url as it not available outside the U.S.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

hemimaniac wrote:Just a thought, head here http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/shows/sh ... x?sid=3350

and see if any of those videos play, as I cannot watch the original url as it not available outside the U.S.
Yeah... comedy central. It destroys all my browsers on Linux. Crashes them. Locks 'em up.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Just a (further) thought! You have obviously heavily modified your installation. Have you tried watching the daily show on an un-modified system such as the livecd?

VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

remoulder wrote:Just a (further) thought! You have obviously heavily modified your installation. Have you tried watching the daily show on an un-modified system such as the livecd?
"Heavily" is an overstatement. All I did was to upgrade Firefox to 3.6 and update Flash. The whole reason I did so was because the out-of-the-box installation was having the same issues. (I just installed the latest Mint LInux, Gnome Version, about three weeks ago.)
deleted

Post by deleted »

No problems with Comedy Central on the x64 release of Linux Mint.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

hinto wrote:No problems with Comedy Central on the x64 release of Linux Mint.
Interesting. What browser (release) and what version of Flash are you using? (Both my systems are 32 bit systems by the way)
deleted

Post by deleted »

firefox 3.5.7
I did do a complete removal of flash and then a re-install through synaptic a couple of days ago when I though HULU quit playing.
Thing was wbkids quit streaming some of my Batman Beyond.
-Hinto
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

VtPoet wrote:"Heavily" is an overstatement. All I did was to upgrade Firefox to 3.6 and update Flash
Ok maybe a slight overstatement but my point was that you have updated using non-recognized software which may have unknown effects on the installed system. Ubuntuzilla is not a recognized upgrade path for either ubuntu or mint and the resulting install is not integrated into the system properly in the way the packaged software is. Also you have installed a beta version of flash that apart from not being packaged, states it is intended for developers to test functionality but you seem surprised when things don't work properly. If you had a particular problem with the standard installation, the sensible option may have been to ask for help at that point rather than assuming that installing the latest and greatest would 'magically' fix it. I'm not intending to criticize, you are free to do what you want with your system, but at the same time you can't expect others to be particularly supportive if having done so you encounter problems.

JackGFuller

Post by JackGFuller »

Have encountered the same problem on a freshly installed Mint 9 - with no other changes. Firefox extensions added: Adblock Plus 1.2; LastPass 1.68.2; Mint search enhancer 1.0; Xmarks 3.6.14. Encountered same problem with a late RC for Ubuntu 10.04. Not a problem in Mint 7.
NoiSNC

Post by NoiSNC »

Hi all,

I also got the same problem with Mint 9 fresh install. I kept wondering for months. I tried to upgrade kernel and browsers, but didn't work.

However the problem seems to be gone after I remove "compiz".

Then I got the problem again after I install "xmarks" add-ons for Firefox.

Finally I remove the "xmarks" and haven't got the problem any more.

Hope this can help you guys find out what the problem come from.

Best Regards,
NOI :)
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Currently watching the Daily Show thru Australia's ABC iView http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/633350 and all is playing fine.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
SMT

Post by SMT »

32 bit Mint 9 using Firefox and Chromium with 10.1 flash... Comedy Central and Daily Show sites have no issue at all... buffering seems to take a while, but i am staying in a hotel at the moment using the wifi connection... so speed isnt to be expected

Return to “Software & Applications”