LMDE 6 Openconnect error: VPN connection editing cannot be loaded

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meche
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 6 Openconnect error: VPN connection editing cannot be loaded

Post by Meche »

Hey,

I am in the process of setting up my new LMDE 6 installation, but am having problems with Openconnect. I need the VPN access for my university. After installing the packages, I tried to set up the VPN profile in the network manager. At the settings window I can enter the profile name, but not the gateway (error: VPN connection editing cannot be loaded (translated from german)). Does anyone have any idea how I can solve this?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: LMDE 6 Openconnect error: VPN connection editing cannot be loaded

Post by MiZoG »

Hey Meche
Have you been following specific instructions for installing your Uni VPN on Linux? Can we have a link? Have you succeeded on other Debian-based distros or older Debian base-systems?
Meche
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Meche »

Hey MiZoG,

there are no specific instructions for the VPN, i have access to the gateway-link and that's that. The main VPN program my Uni uses is Cisco Secure Connect and that works fine but i wanted to try out Openconnect, as my Uni listed it as an alternative.

I searched for instructions online but they basically were to enter any Name for the Profile (which i can do) and then enter the Gateway. I saw screenshots of the process, but in my case instead of the Gateway-pannel there is just the error-message.
lewtech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lewtech »

I can confirm this issue. I've installed network-manager-openconnect and *-gnome variants.
Screenshot from 2023-10-24 09-01-13.png

Code: Select all

network-manager-openvpn-gnome/stable,now 1.10.2-2 amd64 [installed]
network-manager-openvpn/stable,now 1.10.2-2 amd64 [installed]
openvpn/stable,now 2.6.3-1+deb12u1 amd64 [installed]
libopenconnect5/stable,now 9.01-3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
network-manager-openconnect-gnome/stable,now 1.2.8-3 amd64 [installed]
network-manager-openconnect/stable,now 1.2.8-3 amd64 [installed]
openconnect/stable,now 9.01-3 amd64 [installed]
lewtech
Level 1
Level 1

Re: UPDATE: LMDE 6 Openconnect error: VPN connection editing cannot be loaded

Post by lewtech »

UPDATE: There is no bug here, just a user work flow difference. I'm used to working with GNOME work flow. However in Cinnamon the creation of a specific VPN work flow is slightly different. Cinnamon uses more of a 2-step process.

To get to the VPN of choice...

1. Create an OpenVPN and Name it. Close out of Connection Manager.
2. Click on the network icon on the taskbar. You'll see the VPN connection you just created. However do not click on it.
Screenshot from 2023-11-12 15-18-09.png
Screenshot from 2023-11-12 15-18-09.png (25.04 KiB) Viewed 800 times
3. Click on Network Connections. In the dialog select your VPN you just created and click the gear (settings) icon.
4. This will pop-up the infamous dialog we thought was missing! Add the details of your connection here.

Return to “Networking”