Mint XP Dual Boot Trouble

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

For a dual boot you really only need to have Windows installed first, and then Mint and it should just work. The other way round its a bit more complicated as Windows destroys grub.
One thing - do you have Windows in h(s)da2?
Your grub/menu.lst looks OK
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is a Windows error - there's nothing wrong with your menu.lst as far as I can see I have savedefault in the Windows section, but that's got nothing to do with your problem
I used to be a Windows guru (almost at least). You can log into safe mode. Do that and make an adjustment.
Right click on "My computer" and select properties. One of the tabs......
Nah I'll have to boot into Windows (this pc is dual boot) and get the exact facts before I post it here. Will perhaps not be done untill tomorrow - it's late now
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

mintdisk is mounting your windows partition.

look in administration--> mintdisk

you can uncheck it mounting ntfs and fat partitions.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Now I've had the time to check in Windows - then I had to spend a few hours to change telephone and power cables so they are out of the way for a sofa my wife wanted to move to a new position. Yes, I do have a life :lol:
Anyway if you can get into Windows in safe mode
right click "My computer"
select the Advanced tab
select Information about systemstart errors ... Something like that...
It's the bottom one of three buttons "Settings"
Untick "Restart on errors"
This should make Windows stop at the BSOD so you can read it.
It's such an odd error that I have difficulties believing it - I don't distrust you - rather Windows :)

It used to be a bad idea to write to NTFS but with ntfs-3g it's quite safe

Return to “Other topics”