Unable to update Elsie, unable to upgrade to Faye...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rsnunez
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to update Elsie, unable to upgrade to Faye...

Post by rsnunez »

Hi, first time ever to post a kind of question.
I use Linux Mint Debian edition on a Windows 10 virtual machine, trying to get me ready to a full transition into Mint once W10 dies.
I have been using Elsie that way since February, and up until a week or so, I was able to do all tasks. Last week I tried to update the software and followed the procedure as best as I can, but at some point I was unable to continue because of some issue with dpkg.
I got tired of keep trying. I thought I would overcome that issue by upgrading to Faye, but I was unable to follow the instructions to do so because of the same issue with dpkg.
I do not even know what dpkg is, so since I use a VM, I simply killed the one with Elsie and I created a new one with Faye, which is great, but I am really worried about that dpkg issue.
Any thoughts about what was happening with Elsie? I have lost nothing, but I would like to understand why at some point Elsie started to have that dpkg issue, and how to avoid a similar situation with Faye, more so since I really want to leave Windows behind.
Thanks
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Unable to update Elsie, unable to upgrade to Faye...

Post by sleeper12 »

Can you post the actual dpkg message you are getting? That will help others to assist you.
rsnunez
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to update Elsie, unable to upgrade to Faye...

Post by rsnunez »

Thanks, but no, that VM is dead now... I am not really worried about myself, since I am kind of trying to figure out if I switch to Faye as my daily driver, but as of now, it is kind of hard for me to do that change, after what happened with this update/upgrade. I like Mint Faye, but it is really hard if you are not an expert on computers, imho... And help is not easy to get... and when I came here to try to find information on dpkg, I was getting messages from 2012 or 2013... So, who knows... I is really hard to come from Windows

Return to “Beginner Questions”