Is there a way to download a video from a deleted tweet?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
PureBlood
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to download a video from a deleted tweet?

Post by PureBlood »

I know it's impossible to "download content from an URL whose content has been deleted". But my doubt involves a context a bit more specific than that. Please, read me out.

Sometimes, I watch a video on my Twitter timeline and whenever I try to interact with it (like, comment, retweet, download with yt-dlp, etc.) I find out it's actually been deleted.

Back in the day, decades ago, I remember multimedia files like this could be found on some Windows Temporary Files folder. (I'm a super newb Linux Mint user who migrated from Windows several months ago, so please excuse my tech-ignorance. I literally use Linux Mint like I'd use Windows, kinda casual user here, but I like to explore and expand my knowledge on Linux capabilities.)

So, I wonder, since the video IS actually somewhere in my machine (I think you guys call it the "cache"; I'm not completely sure what that is or how it works, except that it's some kind of temporary "memory" storage?), is there a way to retrieve it?

>Is there a Linux Mint or Firefox "Temporary Files" folder?
>Is there a way to F12 on Firefox > "Inspect Element", click on the video and somehow get relevant info such as an URL or file name that allows me to download it?
>I use yt-dlp to download Twitter videos (I'm addicted to this tool, idk why! It's so cool!). But it makes sense that it can't download a video from an URL that goes to a deleted tweet. Is there, however, a command to "tell" yt-dlp to check this magical memory "cache" or wherever else the video happens to be stored (since I can reproduce it on my "non-refreshed" timeline)?

I hope I was clear enough expressing my doubt, let me know if you need me to explain myself better.
Thanks a lot and have an early Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is there a way to download a video from a deleted tweet?

Post by Hoser Rob »

PureBlood wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:08 pm ... So, I wonder, since the video IS actually somewhere in my machine (I think you guys call it the "cache"; I'm not completely sure what that is or how it works, except that it's some kind of temporary "memory" storage?), is there a way to retrieve it?...
You just can't assume it's in your browser cache or any other cache on your system.

I searched "download a video from a deleted tweet" ... search engines are your friend and much faster usually than asking on a Linux user forum and waiting for an answer that may never come. It seems to me it's possible but only if it was your tweet to begin with.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
PureBlood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PureBlood »

Hey Hoser Rob, thanks for your reply!

Mmm. I did obviously use a search engine (Google) before posting on this forum. The results weren't helpful at all since seemingly all of them were off topic, talking about either how impossible it is to download media from a deleted URL (duh!) or recovering data you tweeted yourself (not my case).

Your reply, although sincerely much appreciated, specially being the only one I've received so far (maybe even, like you accurately pointed out, the only one I'll ever get haha), sadly seems to be an echo of the same, unsatisfactory, off topic results I got from Google.

I'll try to explain myself again, the clearest way I can, in case this helps me get the answers I'm looking for.

It's not the first time that I'm scrolling down my Twitter timeline and I notice a tweet that includes a video. It fully plays, I can see it perfectly.
However, if I try to interact with it in any way, heading to its URL, for instance, I find out it's been deleted.
As long as I don't refresh my Twitter timeline/home page, I'm able to watch the deleted video.

So, my question is: Is there a way, a tool or something that allows me to retrieve/download this deleted video (tweeted by someone else)? Extract it from my timeline and put it into my computer? Google seems to think the answer is "no". So then, I'd like to know "why not?" If it's there in my timeline and I can see it as long as I don't refresh the page... How is it impossible to retrieve it? I'm just being a curious noob, that's all.

Merry Christmas!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I suspect it's temporarily in someone else's cache, not your local cache, at least until they flush it. That'd be why you can view it but not access it otherwise.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Open Chat”