<PARTIALLY SOLVED> Startup Application Gets Overridden After some time

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChaisenBallz9k
Level 1
Level 1

<PARTIALLY SOLVED> Startup Application Gets Overridden After some time

Post by ChaisenBallz9k »

For some reason the volume keys using this OS are terrible, I try raising the volume a little and the volume shoots to the max, so I tried to disable key repeat for the volume keys only. I found the key number for both and used the commands:

- xset -r 122
- xset -r 123

and it normally works but when I add it to the startup application commands via the GUI, it just outright disables after a bit of time and key repeat enables again leaving my trying to raise to the volume and it blasting to max again. I've set a delay for both the keys so I know it's not that. I've got a feeling it has something to do with the GUI auto repeat setting being on and overriding my startup command. I really don't want to have to run a script that runs the command every couple of intervals that feels like such a work around extremely inefficient but idk what else to do. I'd also rather not manually run these commands every time I boot up my computer. This is really annoying. Any help is appreciated
Last edited by ChaisenBallz9k on Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Startup Application Gets Overridden After some time

Post by billyswong »

ChaisenBallz9k wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:27 am but when I add it to the startup application commands via the GUI, it just outright disables after a bit of time and key repeat enables again
How about adding a time delay to your startup application command? Let's say once immediately and another duplicates set to run 10 seconds (or maybe 30 seconds, depends on the actual situation) later. Unless an override by DE behind the scene is running itself repeatedly, you don't need to run your manual command repeatedly.
ChaisenBallz9k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChaisenBallz9k »

billyswong wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:06 am
ChaisenBallz9k wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:27 am but when I add it to the startup application commands via the GUI, it just outright disables after a bit of time and key repeat enables again
How about adding a time delay to your startup application command? Let's say once immediately and another duplicates set to run 10 seconds (or maybe 30 seconds, depends on the actual situation) later. Unless an override by DE behind the scene is running itself repeatedly, you don't need to run your manual command repeatedly.
Hmm, I could try that. The time delay itself doesn't work but maybe like you mentioned having a duplicate command set a couple seconds after the first one could do something, I'll try that. Theoretically tho, if it is the DE overriding my startup script repeatedly, is there any way I'd be able to disable that?
ChaisenBallz9k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChaisenBallz9k »

billyswong wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:06 am
Nope, no luck. I have a feeling its an override by the DE.
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

But you said it worked if you type it yourself in terminal? I am basing that to suggest idea. Maybe you haven't set the delay long enough?
ChaisenBallz9k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChaisenBallz9k »

billyswong wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:31 am But you said it worked if you type it yourself in terminal? I am basing that to suggest idea. Maybe you haven't set the delay long enough?
I can try that, I figured 5 to 10 seconds would be enough but I'll do a minute. I'll try that and give an update on if it works or not.
ChaisenBallz9k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChaisenBallz9k »

billyswong wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:31 am But you said it worked if you type it yourself in terminal? I am basing that to suggest idea. Maybe you haven't set the delay long enough?
Nah, nothing. Turns out even the manual typing of the command itself doesn't work, idek anymore.
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

ChaisenBallz9k wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:38 pm Nah, nothing. Turns out even the manual typing of the command itself doesn't work, idek anymore.
So let's go back to the beginning. Let's make sure the problem is due to auto-repeat setting. If we disable repeat key setting through GUI setting (dunno which DE you are using), does this volume key overshoot problem go away?
ChaisenBallz9k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChaisenBallz9k »

billyswong wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:21 pm
ChaisenBallz9k wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:38 pm Nah, nothing. Turns out even the manual typing of the command itself doesn't work, idek anymore.
So let's go back to the beginning. Let's make sure the problem is due to auto-repeat setting. If we disable repeat key setting through GUI setting (dunno which DE you are using), does this volume key overshoot problem go away?
It does yeah (at least i'm 85% sure it does, ill lyk if even that seems to be broken). I'm using cinnamon and if I disable auto repeat on the gui it works but it disables it for ALL my keys. If I honestly could I wouldn't even try to disable auto repeat on my volume keys as on windows it works fine and I'm only really doing this because auto repeat seems to completely break my volume keys so I have to settle.
ChaisenBallz9k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChaisenBallz9k »

UPDATE: Ok I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the fact my keyboard has an 'Fn' function, gives my volume button dual functions in being volume and the f2/f3 buttons as well. If I remap the volume to be Fn+ VolumeUp or Fn + VolumeDown it works, so temporary fix Ig.
ChaisenBallz9k
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <PARTIALLY SOLVED> Startup Application Gets Overridden After some time

Post by ChaisenBallz9k »

Alright so I'm almost sure its the Fn key on my keyboard, if you have a keyboard with an Fn key that like makes the f1-f12 keys have dual functions then go into your bios and disable hotkey mode (for me thats what it was called at least, it might be called smart key mode or something else etc etc its in BIOS > configuration). If that doesn't work go onto 'Menu > type in shortcuts > change volume keys to be f2/f3 (or the equivalent of where ur volume keys are on ur keyboard) instead of volumeup/volume down) and then just keep on FnLock in ur keyboard. This is the best solution I could find and a bit of a workaround hence why I marked it as the post as partially solved instead of fully solved.

Side Note: If you're gonna buy a new computer and plan to use Linux Mint, make sure to check if It's fully compatible. Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5's tend to be catered HEAVILY towards Windows, and while most laptops are, this one seems to be ESPECIALLY so.

Return to “Software & Applications”