Boot Repair While Running on Live USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
muttleytm
Level 1
Level 1

Boot Repair While Running on Live USB

Post by muttleytm »

I have mint 21 and the boot loader is corrupted or something. I also have wifi issues, but can attach via cable

I want to just run mint21 live usb and then run boot-repair from that, but it says to update it. If I go to command line and try to install boot-repair i get a file not found message. I did find a post somewhere to specify a sourceforge PPA. Get a can find that message as well.

It does seem like I might need to install a ppa and then do the update/install of boot-repair. So for right now I just need to know the current ppa to use and the command to install the ppa and the boot-repair app.

I realize the update/install won't be permanent but maybe I can at least run it get a pastebin of it, submit it and get some ideas what to do next.

I've had the issue for a while but have been too busy and/or sick.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Boot Repair While Running on Live USB

Post by linux-rox »

Pretty sure this is the correct PPA: https://launchpad.net/~yannubuntu/+arch ... oot-repair
Be aware, the Boot Repair app isn't reliable. Sometimes works, but often stumbles in difficult cases.
Frankly, you'd be better off learning how to repair Grub yourself. Here's my go-to tutorial.
muttleytm
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Boot Repair While Running on Live USB

Post by muttleytm »

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

I also got to thinking of another approach that may be easier.

It is a laptop and the drive is a SSD, not one with the form of a HD, just a big memory stick. The PC came with Windows on it and I got another HD to put in the laptop and installed Linux. I got an external case for the Windows drive but you can run Windows from USB anymore. So I still have case that I can mount that drive in and I should be able to attach it to another computer via USB and read the files. Most of the files on it were copied from this computer and there really aren't very many new ones, although there are probably a few that I created after I set this laptop up. I've just been using this other computer since this issue arose.

So if I can read the drive I can just find any files I want to keep and save them to the other computer, another drive, the cloud or something.

Then just do a full reinstall of Mint

Return to “Installation & Boot”