Activate preferences moved from old home

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Activate preferences moved from old home

Post by borgward »

I moved home to new install including all hidden files. how do I activate all my preferences, bookmarks, etc?
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Activate preferences moved from old home

Post by mikeflan »

how do I activate all my preferences, bookmarks, etc?
Normally by restarting the program. If that doesn't work, then go looking for the new user settings directory and copy into there.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Activate preferences moved from old home

Post by linux-rox »

borgward wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:56 pm ... bookmarks ...
Presumably you mean in Firefox. That's a bit tricky. You need to play with profiles to get it to work. Open Firefox. Enter about:profiles in address box. Should see three profiles, the one in use (which comes from the new system) and two old ones (which came in with the copied folder). Figure out which is your old profile and click button to Set as default. Close and reopen Firefox. If desired, can clean up by deleting the new system profile.

One way to figure out which is your old profile is to compare them in File Manager; one will have many more files than the other; that's the one you want. As a double-check, in my case, the old profile was called default-release, the backup was called default, and the new one was called default-release-1.

Return to “Software & Applications”