Boot repair on LM 21.2

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Boot repair on LM 21.2

Post by evbrown »

I upgraded from 20.3 to 21.2 on a HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF with 16 mb memory using the mintupgrade tool. It is installed on a 500 gb nvme drive. The boot process does not boot normally, but I can boot by selecting the 5.15.0-88-generic kernel. When doing system updates it throws an error at the end when it tries to update the 5.15.0-89-generic kernel. I can certainly live with this, but I would like to learn how to correct this error.

I booted to the LM 21.2 USB install disk and ran boot repair. Here is the url for the boot repair log: https://sprunge.us/bfdCWl

Boot repair offered a popup that said: GPT detected. Please create a BIOS-Boot partition (>1MB, unformatted filesystem, bios_grub flag). This can be performed via tools such as Gparted. Then try again. Alternatively, you can retry after activating the [Separate /boot/efi partition:] option

The Boot repair log also reports "No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/nvme0n1." When I do a web search on how to "install boot loader on mbr using gparted" it gives instructions on how to fix the mbr on the Windows disk, which is not what I need.

Suggestions on how to do this or where to look would be appreciated. Thanks.
evbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Boot repair on LM 21.2

Post by evbrown »

Some additional information. I watched a Chris Titus video on the difference between msdos MBR vs EFI (GPT) partitions. My Windows disk is MBR and my Linux disk is EFI (GPT). The end of the boot repair log says:

Please set your BIOS in Legacy mode in order to start your Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria (21.2), then type command [sudo update-grub] in order to add the Windows entry to your GRUB menu.

I did this and it did not appear to fix the issue. In fact the only way I have been able to get my Linux to boot at all is with Legacy boot. If I select EFI boot in the BIOS, it goes right to a grub prompt.

I just wish Boot Repair would have a way to just ignore the Windows disk and not try to give me dual boot. I don't really need or want dual boot. I just want a normal Linux boot without errors. If I want to boot Windows (almost never), I can do so by selecting that disk in the BIOS for direct boot. I suppose I could open the PC and disconnect the Windows drive and then run Boot Repair. Is this the only way to fix this?

What is interesting is that I don't remember having this issue with 21.1. It only appeared with upgrade to 21.2. Go figure?
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

evbrown wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:16 pm I just wish Boot Repair would have a way to just ignore the Windows disk and not try to give me dual boot. I don't really need or want dual boot. I just want a normal Linux boot without errors. If I want to boot Windows (almost never), I can do so by selecting that disk in the BIOS for direct boot. I suppose I could open the PC and disconnect the Windows drive and then run Boot Repair. Is this the only way to fix this?

What is interesting is that I don't remember having this issue with 21.1. It only appeared with upgrade to 21.2. Go figure?
The correct way was to install both OSes in one mode - otherwise there are problems, but it is already done. Let's try to solve the problem this way.
Maybe the idea is not bad. Shut down the Windows disk and then try fixing the boot sector in legacy mode. You could also try https://www.supergrubdisk.org/2021/11/1 ... -released/. It has helped me.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"
evbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Post by evbrown »

Thank you for the Supergrub2 disk suggestion. I put that on a USB and booted from it. That program works great for booting the various drives. However, I did not see where it can correct the boot problem.

I am very close to getting this fixed. Boot startup was not finding the 5.15.0-89-generic kernel and I had to select 5.15.0-88-generic from the backup list. When I ran sudo update-grub I noticed this at the end:

/etc/grub.d/bin/grubcfg_proxy: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The libcrypto.so.1.1 file is not easy to find online. Apparently it is deprecated and no longer used. Using: locate libcrypto.so.1.1 I found it in /opt/calibre/lib/ on my drive. I put a copy in /lib and then ran sudo update-grub again. That cleared the error.

Now when I boot it is looking for vmlinuz-5.4.0-72-generic. That was from LM 20.3 and is no longer on my system. I can live with that error. I am hoping that when the upgrade to 21.3 comes along, that will push that error away. I am open to suggestions on fixing that error.

Overall I am happy with the repair so far. The system is processing updates without throwing errors about 5.15.0-89-generic not being updated. It is all good and I am learning a little bit more each day.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Glad I was able to help even if not completely!
The cleanest solution is to reinstall LM in legacy mode with the Windows disk turned off, but maybe a future upgrade will clear up the problems.
If you do a clean install of LM, plug in the Windows disk after it's done. Then boot the LM and run the command: sudo update-grub. It will bring up Windows in the OS selection menu.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

evbrown wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:16 pm ... a way to just ignore the Windows disk and not try to give me dual boot. I don't really need or want dual boot.
This is easily done: sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober. That disables the Grub script which looks for other OSs to add to the boot menu. I recommend adding a comment to /etc/default/grub* as a tangible reminder of the modification. By the way, I do this by disabling the Grub script because disabling os-prober with /etc/default/grub has become unreliable. That used to be the simple solution.

* Something like: # have disabled os-prober with sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober. As you may know, it's the # which makes it a comment.
Everything on the line after the # is ignored by Grub update. You can open the edit for editing with xed admin:///etc/default/grub (will prompt for password).
evbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Post by evbrown »

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that had no effect on what Boot Repair sees.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

My suggestion doesn't depend on Boot Repair. If you disable os-prober then update Grub, Windows will not be on the Grub menu.
evbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Post by evbrown »

What I was referring to is that Boot Repair will not do a repair because it insists on changing the BIOS to EFI. The EFI boot is what gives me the boot to grub prompt.

I will stick with grub as is and BIOS set to Legacy. At least it gives me the option to boot to the 5.15.0-89-generic kernel.

Return to “Installation & Boot”