Distro for "beginners"

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wwblm
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Distro for "beginners"

Post by wwblm »

I agree with majpooper. There are good and bad distros and mint is a good one! Thankfully that means that its good for "beginners" because the overwhelming majority of computer users are "beginners" when it comes to Linux. I am certainly a beginner. So much to learn! I feel like I have somewhat of a head start though as I ran the original MacOS 10 server around the turn of the century. This got me familiar with the command line and several programs that were bundled with that as well as continue to be bundled with Mint today. Kind of hard to believe that after using something that long I am but a beginner. It is what it is.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

OK - I will make one last comment then show myself out.

What is a beginner? Grandma? In my experience (and maybe that's the problem I can only speak from my experience) Grandma doesn't even know what an OS is let alone install one - yes I actually had an elderly person tell me they thought their OS was Chrome but they weren't sure. So for that type of beginner distro makes no difference - someone is going to set it up for them anyway. Or do we mean beginner as in someone with no technical savvy but a long time Windows/Mac user that just wants to stick in a CD and install a new OS and run? The ones I have ended up helping can't even burn an .iso image. Also they can't figure out how to put shortcuts on the desktop etc. So for them, and advanced users as well - there are good distros and bad distros that make tweaking the DE easy or hard. Then there is the beginner that has tons of technical experience and is coming over to a new distro typically because they are fed up with Windows or Mac - they want to tweak their system - so some distros are a pain and some are not - which is the case for everyone . . . . i.e. some are bad and some are good.

I guess my point is good distros are good for beginners as well as advanced users and and bad distros are bad for both as well.
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Post by spamegg »

Yup! Mint is a good distro, good for beginners and everyone else.
ytis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ytis »

majpooper wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:34 pm Also they can't figure out how to put shortcuts on the desktop etc.
By the way I still don't understand why they didn't add the most obvious way to create shortcuts to the desktop with the mouse (copy -> paste shortcut). I can create a folder symlink with the right button, but can't create a file symlink.
The only way to do this is to create them in Terminal with the full path. And then put it in the right place on the desktop.
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

ytis wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:03 am By the way I still don't understand why they didn't add the most obvious way to create shortcuts to the desktop with the mouse (copy -> paste shortcut). I can create a folder symlink with the right button, but can't create a file symlink.
The only way to do this is to create them in Terminal with the full path. And then put it in the right place on the desktop.
If you are talking about Nemo in Cinnamon, check out Edit > Preferences > Context Menus. Or you can Edit > Make Link directly.
ytis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ytis »

billyswong wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:29 am
ytis wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:03 am By the way I still don't understand why they didn't add the most obvious way to create shortcuts to the desktop with the mouse (copy -> paste shortcut). I can create a folder symlink with the right button, but can't create a file symlink.
If you are talking about Nemo in Cinnamon, check out Edit > Preferences > Context Menus. Or you can Edit > Make Link directly.
Oh. Thank you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

mcfardo907 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:18 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:05 pm I am unfaithful to Mint at times, but I always come back since of all the distros I have tried, it just works, and at my age, that is all I ask, for things to just work. As for Mint, and Ubuntu being beginner distros that just work, I would add POP!_OS into that mix, since it also just works and has later/more modern kernels.
I installed Pop OS on a virtual machine and found that I couldn't do much with it, in regards to theming, and getting it to look the way I want.

I guess its good for beginners and pads the walls somewhat so they hurt themselves.
POP!_OS is horrible in that regard, you can do very little theming with it, although you can (at least for now) add Gnome extensions (while they still work, with Gnome it will most likely break next week...), but you can add the KDE DE and it can be themed quite a bit. The Cinnamon version is as of the last time I checked 5.2 and has the terribly ugly tan Aidwaita icons and there is little you can do about that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

spamegg wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:47 am Yup! Mint is a good distro, good for beginners and everyone else.
I ask what you can do in a "power user/hard distro" that you cannot do in mint, and I all get are *crickets*, or the usual, MInt is for noobs,and does not offer you control. Neither of which is true.
wwblm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wwblm »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:46 am I ask what you can do in a "power user/hard distro" that you cannot do in mint, and I all get are *crickets*, or the usual, MInt is for noobs,and does not offer you control. Neither of which is true.
The more I use it the more I see all the possibilities that control offers. Working now on creating personalized installations for the sole purpose of giving to noobs so that they can be empowered without having to know anything beyond what they want to accomplish!
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Post by spamegg »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:46 am I ask what you can do in a "power user/hard distro" that you cannot do in mint, and I all get are *crickets*, or the usual, MInt is for noobs,and does not offer you control. Neither of which is true.
Yeah :lol:

I have to keep repeating that the Mint team develops Mint on Mint. Making a distro is fairly advanced isn't it?
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

ytis wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:03 am Also they can't figure out how to put shortcuts on the desktop etc.
WHAT !!!!!
Click on the item in the Home folder i.e. Documents and then Ctrl + M and there is the "Link to Documents" folder waiting to be dragged to where you want, usually the desktop.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

I'll say this based on my experience trying to help Windows users migrate to Linux is that most of them expect Linux to be exactly like Windows and when they discover it's not most of them say screw it and revert back to Windows.

Most new to Linux users plain and simple are just unwilling to spend the needed time to learn the necessary basic Linux how to knowledge to get a proper start to learning a new OS and if they are unwilling to do this than they will most likely have a bad first Linux experience.

Most new Linux users need how to stuff explained to them in plain non technical simple uncomplicated answers and aren't interested in the guru explanations they just want to get their new Linux install working so they can get back to their social media websites and online shopping.

There's a great basic how to guide for the new Linux user available online but it ain't from the Linux Mint folk.

There's one Linux distro I know who's main audience is the new to Linux users.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Linux Mint it's an okay distro.

I'm using LMDE along with several other Linux distros.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

spamegg wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:27 am
Yeah :lol:

I have to keep repeating that the Mint team develops Mint on Mint. Making a distro is fairly advanced isn't it?
LOL, yes, it is. So why the "elites" say use a hard distro is beyond me. I want something that works. Mint works.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:33 pm I want something that works. Mint works.
If you go by that philosophy most any Linux distro is a good choice.

With a few exceptions most Linux distros I use or have used work OOTB.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:46 am
spamegg wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:47 am Yup! Mint is a good distro, good for beginners and everyone else.
I ask what you can do in a "power user/hard distro" that you cannot do in mint, and I all get are *crickets*, or the usual, MInt is for noobs,and does not offer you control. Neither of which is true.
Well, in Gentoo you can enable individual CPU flags that can't be enabled in virtually any other distro because the kernels are built somewhat generically. That's the real reason that Gentoo is famous for being so fast.

Note that this does not make me want to install and configure Gentoo. I'm not that damn crazy. You'd have to pay me. And most Gentoo users are paid to use it. It's very popular with engineers making embedded systems for example.

But in general I agree, and I'm always harping about how Linux distros really are not all that different from one another. You need noob friendly support if you're a beginner. Only Mint and Ubuntu really offer this.

That said, I actually do know a number of IT professionals. Only one of them uses Mint. And he doesn't like it. However, he does Linux all day at work, and he doesn't really feel like doing it when he gets home. So he's still using it last I heard.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Linux distros really are not all that different from one another. You need noob friendly support if you're a beginner. Only Mint and Ubuntu really offer this.
Yes, and if newcomers don't get friendly support they will more often hunt on or stay with win.
Some need more coddling than others, but then they seem to catch on.
After that answers which provide a learning path are more appropriate.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:07 pm Well, in Gentoo you can enable individual CPU flags that can't be enabled in virtually any other distro because the kernels are built somewhat generically. That's the real reason that Gentoo is famous for being so fast.

Note that this does not make me want to install and configure Gentoo. I'm not that damn crazy. You'd have to pay me. And most Gentoo users are paid to use it. It's very popular with engineers making embedded systems for example.
Indeed, most people don't need customized kernel to squeeze the last bit of performance. There is a ease of mind in if my motherboard breaks, I can plug my drive into a new computer and get it boot up fine. All the customization and cut-corner in self-built kernel doesn't worth the effort to me.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just installed Mint on an older HP Spectre x360 13.3" laptop that was mine, then my youngest "borrowed" it since her laptop (15.6" Spectre) was "too heavy" and she used it through her university days till transitioning to the Macbook Air. So another good friend who is "under-employed" right now (he works in the movie industry) did not have a laptop. Since I have several just sitting around, I decided to re-install Mint on it since I know it works with Mint. It has an i7-7500 grade processor (I do not recall the exact model), 8 gb of Ram, and I had a 1TB drive installed. So last night I took 45 minutes and put Mint on it, added skype, zoom, vlc, Chrome, flatpak Libreoffice which I set up to save as .docx, as well as Thunderbird and Rhythmbox. So I will be giving it to him tomorrow when we meet up in Dallas.

We are going up to Dallas to be with a friend who is having a triple bypass. So I can give him a fully functional Linux laptop that is ready to go and now I can send him .odt files. He got Mint Cinnamon since the transition from Windows will be seamless. Plus it is a nice light laptop that I just had sitting around.
Pupalei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pupalei »

You’re a good friend.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

151tom wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:56 am I'll say this based on my experience trying to help Windows users migrate to Linux is that most of them expect Linux to be exactly like Windows and when they discover it's not most of them say screw it and revert back to Windows.

Most new to Linux users plain and simple are just unwilling to spend the needed time to learn the necessary basic Linux how to knowledge to get a proper start to learning a new OS and if they are unwilling to do this than they will most likely have a bad first Linux experience.

Most new Linux users need how to stuff explained to them in plain non technical simple uncomplicated answers and aren't interested in the guru explanations they just want to get their new Linux install working so they can get back to their social media websites and online shopping.....
Amen to that. Many new Linux users also cannot seem to understand that Linux support forum members are not being paid to do it, In fact no one, from forum users to Linux developers, has any obligation to them whatsoever.

The only way around this would be to buy a Red Hat site license. But the many newbies who complain about Mint software releases being old would really hate Red Hat. I also wouldn't run Red Hat on really new hardware.

I'd also add that in Linux, by its very nature, the gap between "simple uncomplicated answers" and "guru explanations" tends to be wafer thin.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”