Advice on removing the Dual Boot with Windows please

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Advice on removing the Dual Boot with Windows please

Post by Reljoy »

I have dual booted Linux Mint with Windows for many years.
Now I want to get rid of Windows totally - after all I hardly ever boot into it anyway.
I have made a note of my Windows 10 Product Key - just in case I want to have a Windows boot in the future.

Q1. Is there anything else I should make a note of in case I want to use Windows again?

I always use a /home partition.
I'm planning on upgrading my version of Linux Mint (currently 20.3 Una with MATE and Compiz).
Q2. Should I totally wipe all of the hard drive partitions first (except /home) and then install Mint?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Advice on removing the Dual Boot with Windows please

Post by AndyMH »

The vast majority of win installs are OEM (=locked to your hardware). If you need to re-install win it will phone home and recognise that you have a valid licence.

Instead of doing a fresh install, you could re-size your existing mint partitions to use the space created by deleting win. You will need to boot your mint install stick and run gparted from that - you cannot change / or /home booting normally - you cannot unmount them.

Win normally uses three partitions:
  • MS reserved
  • win C:
  • a recovery partition.
Delete those, then you can resize/move your / and /home partitions to use the space. Depending on how much used space this can take some time.

When you make a change to a partition in gparted it tells you what has to be done at the bottom of the window. Nothing happens until you edit > apply all changes. You can batch all the changes up or do them one by one. I prefer to do them one by one.

Assuming you are booting UEFI, DO NOT delete your EFI partition, this is the small partition formatted fat32 with the flags esp and boot set. This is where your bootloaders live. It is often the first partition on the drive.

When you have done all the above you will still get a grub menu on boot giving you the choice of mint or win. The win bootloader is still in your EFI partition. Your EFI partition is mounted at /boot/efi in mint. Go in there with your file manager (you will need to enter your password a couple of times) and delete the WINDOWS folder.

While I have resized my / partition several times without problem, I always make sure I have a backup before I start.

Any questions, post the output of sudo parted --list, this tells us about your drives and partitions.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Reljoy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:54 am Q1. Is there anything else I should make a note of in case I want to use Windows again?
If I were doing this, I'd save an image backup of the Win10 system. There's a nifty utility for that built into Windows. Open Control Panel > Backup & Restore > Create a system image. Be aware, you would need a Windows recovery environment to restore the backup, but there are many ways to do that. The built-in utility doesn't compress the file system, but it only copies used space, so the backup probably can be fit on USB flash drive. GParted is a simple and accurate way to find out how much used space the Windows partitions have.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

Thanks for the good advice AndyMH and linux-rox
Doing a Windows backup now.
I still think it's a good time to do a fresh Linux install. Maybe Kdenlive will stop crashing.

Return to “Installation & Boot”