Question about restoring a snapshot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WesleyB
Level 1
Level 1

Question about restoring a snapshot

Post by WesleyB »

I used Software Manager to uninstall Celluloid. Then I used Software Manager to install MPV media player flatpak.

I think that was a mistake (or at least unnecessary) and I'd like to undo those ^ changes.

I do have a history of Snapshots saved. If I were to restore a snapshot, would that undo those changes?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Question about restoring a snapshot

Post by all41 »

Make a manual restore point as your system is now just in case
Then reinstall celluloid and remove the flatpak mpv
In a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo flatpak uninstall mpv
then

apt install celluloid
btw welcome to the Mint forums. Good to have you join in.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
WesleyB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WesleyB »

all41 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:28 pm Make a manual restore point as your system is now just in case
Then reinstall celluloid and remove the flatpak mpv
In a terminal:

sudo flatpak uninstall mpv
then

apt install celluloid
Is it better to use "apt uninstall" or "apt purge" ?
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

apt is for regular packages. The terminal commands for flatpak are different.

As for your question, yes, Timeshift should work. But I agree with all41's suggestion in your relatively simple case. Faster and less to go wrong.
WesleyB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WesleyB »

I know how to use the Terminal well enough to follow the directions given.

However, I'm wondering...

I used the GUI Software Manager (SM) to uninstall Celluloid and install MPV flatpak. Couldn't I now use SM to reverse that?

Specifically... Could I use SM to uninstall MPV flatpak and then use SM to install Celluloid? Would that give the same end result as doing it in Terminal?

Is Terminal preferrable for some reason?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

WesleyB wrote: Is Terminal preferrable for some reason?
Generally no, for simple tasks at least, and Mint team has put some effort in improving Software Manager lately.
Still, in practice, apt in terminal is more "powerful" than Software Manager.
For example, I cannot see any option to "purge" configuration files when uninstalling apps in Software Manager.
Something you specifically asked about.

Old-time users of debian/ubuntu-based linux distros may have a soft spot in their hearts for Synaptic.
Best and most advanced ever gui apt manager but its interface cannot perceived as "modern" any longer.
Pre-installed in LM all the same and Mint Update Manager is actually mostly based on it.
"Purge" ("Mark for complete removal" is the exact phrasing in Synaptic) is available for instance in Synaptic.

If you are new to Linux and afraid of terminal, use Software Manager. No shame in it.
If you feel or you start feeling comfortable with the terminal, you'll find Software Manager underwhelming in many areas.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Another advantage of terminal commands is specific to helping on the Forum. We can give you exact terminal commands. Trying to walk you through a GUI is like telling you how to fold a paper airplane. Takes a lot of words and usually still not easy to understand.

For that matter, I tend to use terminal commands on my own computer for a similar reason: easier to save in my notes.
WesleyB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WesleyB »

linux-rox wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:21 am Another advantage of terminal commands is specific to helping on the Forum. We can give you exact terminal commands. Trying to walk you through a GUI is like telling you how to fold a paper airplane. Takes a lot of words and usually still not easy to understand.

For that matter, I tend to use terminal commands on my own computer for a similar reason: easier to save in my notes.
That makes sense because the GUI Software Manger is visual and the Terminal is text. I never thought of how that affects the ease of giving text based instructions. Thanks!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Yes and simple terminal commands are mostly desktop agnostic,
while gui operations differ in steps among the desktops.

Terminal commands for the most part are applicable in most Linux
distros as well. Learn them once and use them everywhere.

Your terminal keeps a history. Opening a terminal and pressing the
up arrow key will scroll back through your recent commands so you
really don't have to remember or retype them.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”