Connect to an QNap share?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

Connect to an QNap share?

Post by please select an »

Hi
I own a QNap Nas and I try many How To connect to that little bastard. :lol: My Nas is on an total different Subnet than the Virtual Mint. That should not be the problem. I read somewhere that NFS for Linux be the best Method to connect?
Long Story short I make my own Map with QGis. For that everything I need is on my NAS Share since I can Update the Data from every (Win) System and the QGis on Mint use the updatet Data to. Someday I want make an Automatic Update Service who run on Mint but that is a Project for some other Day. :lol: First I should get the connection to the NAS working.

By the way on Windows I use the Letter "Q:" for the Network share. So every QGis Installation on every Win Pc in my Network can open the Config File and edit them. I dont know what QGis on Linux (Mint) do. Is there some way to fake an Drive letter?
Thanks! :oops:
Wibol
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Connect to an QNap share?

Post by Wibol »

In most cases it is sufficient to set up an SFTP connection and save it.

No olvides:
  • Leer la Guía de publicación antes de hacer una consulta.
  • Añadir [SOLUCIONADO] al título del primer mensaje de tu consulta cuando así lo consideres.
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

Can QGis via that SFTP Connection have access to files? I thought a FTP Connection is "only" for Filetransfer and not for a Software to access Files without store then locally?!
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

If your QNAP NAS has already been setup for Windows access, you can type smb://<nas-ip-address>/ into the address bar of file manager, be it Nemo / Caja / Thunar. You shall be prompted login credential for that NAS. No need for any extra setup.
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

Sadly it dont work. There is an Error (in German so I dont know how to translate) that it not work.
In Windows I can access it with the same credentials.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

please select an wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:20 am My Nas is on an total different Subnet than the Virtual Mint.
Are you running mint in a VM?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

Yes on my ESXi. :wink:
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

please select an wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:13 pm Sadly it dont work. There is an Error (in German so I dont know how to translate) that it not work.
In Windows I can access it with the same credentials.
Writing down the error message here will be a ton better than nothing for diagnosis. Language is a minor issue.

When do you see the error? Before the file browser asking you the NAS login credential, or after the credential request? I remember QNAP NAS does have a web interface. Can you reach that web interface in the "Virtual Mint"? If no, then the problem is a VM network problem, not a "how do Linux Mint access a NAS" problem.
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

Writing down the error message
ITs not possible since I work with Varicose Physical and Virtual System where copy information from one to the other is difficult.
1.JPG
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

"Empfangen der Freigabenliste vom Server ist gescheitert" ...

You haven't answered if the NAS is accessible in the "Virtual Mint" via the web interface. But let say it is a "yes" and the login prompt also appears in the file browser as well...

Take a look at how the NAS is mounted in Windows. If it is mounted as for example \\ip-address\share1, then you may retry in Mint smb://ip-address/share1

It is difficult to diagnose without knowing the answers of those questions I asked previously.

Remarks: Text in dialogs are usually not hightlightable nor copiable directly. So I was expecting you "writing down the error message" by typing it in keyboard. Screencap works but obviously less convenient.
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

So thanks to your post I finaly got them working...
In an Win Envirorment I just need to open the IP Adress of the NAS and see all Shares a User are permit to access there.
To add the Subfolder (who is not need in Win) it very uncommon for me.
There is another Post: viewtopic.php?p=2402859#p2402859

I have the huge Problem that in QGis the Network Share not show up?!
Is there a way to Map the Path (like in Windows) to a Subfolder,...?

Sry when I have to mention Win so often but there are thinks who work flawlessly.
And when someone say stick to Win I export a Demo Map to the Server HDD and for the City of Kosice it took about 4h to finish. For Vienna back on my old Server it took me 4 Weeks to finish (ok ok ok here I had ~4 Layer and Vienna are based of 40 - 100 Layer so there is more Compute Power needed)
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

In Open file dialog > click on "Other Locations" at side bar, one should see the mounted SMB share. Is it not there? (I am testing it with the Flatpak QGIS install.)

p.s. I can see the listing without typing the folder name myself either in my MATE/caja here. Not sure what's wrong with your computer or your NAS. The function works for both Windows server machine and an old QNAP NAS in my experience.

p.s.2. The smb mount by file browser is mapped to a subfolder at /run/user/1000/gvfs behind the scene, where 1000 is the default user id of single user Linux setup. It will be another number if your login is a secondary account.
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

sorry tomorrow I make a journy across Europe and have no time yet to test.

Return to “Networking”