If I was not so mad it would be funny...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: If I was not so mad it would be funny...

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:05 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:14 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:34 pm ...Also for the friend I HAVE to send it as a .docx file it cannot be a .pdf.
Please forgive my curiosity but why?
He has to edit the files and he is not real tech savvy. Love him to death, been trying to get him to go to libreoffice but he works in the movie industry and so is wedded to Microsoft Office. Plus he then has to pass the files on to others who only use MS Office as well. He is one of my oldest college buddies.
OK, I get it now.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:09 pm Murph and I are in agreement,
every thing is saved in .docx
period
I tried that, but some of my more intricate documents didn't save properly to open in MS Word.
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

Today this difficulty and illusory conflict between .odt and .doc(x) formats doesn't exist...at what point do we stop enabling its perceived continuation and allow the file association to work in all OS's and office suites? :? :? :?
Vanguard debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing whimsically.
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
TaterChip
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TaterChip »

diyliberty wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:12 pm Microsoft shenanigans is a big reason why I switched to LM and will never buy another Windows license.
Agreed. After dealing with what I had to with Windows 10 and seeing what they did with Windows 11, and now the talk of them incorporating AI into Windows 12. Nope, I'm done.

I may buy other Windows machines, but I will immediately overwrite that hard drive with Linux.
MSI Steel series GL75 Leopard, i7-10750H, 64GB RAM ... Mint21.1 XFCE
TaterChip
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TaterChip »

wwblm wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:17 pm <soapbox rant>
I wish companies would just use the incredible talent they have for making software that works rather than doing things like this to hinder or eliminate competitors' software! Back in the day, I bought a Mac for PageMaker. Was blown away by how much better Word and Excel worked for me compared to the Lotus and Wordstar that I was used to. MS can compete on code but chooses to compete by marginalizing or eliminating their competition in order to put less effort into their code.
</rant>
Ah yes, the old Lotus 1-2-3. I used that and WordPerfect back in the day.

I just love how some of the new machines are coming locked down so you can only add software from the Microsoft Store. Several years ago when I purchased my MSI laptop, it came with a sheet of paper in the box telling me how to get around that stupid crap.
TaterChip
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TaterChip »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:11 pm
Schultz wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:50 pm ...Today trying to tell the owners of a website that their website isn't written properly (AND it really isn't) and the response? It works on Chrome, so use Chrome. :x
Just today? Heck, that's been going on for ages. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was told, when a website didn't work for me, that I should be using Chrome or Firefox. When I got that stupid, infuriating response, I ripped them so many new ones, they could fart not just a tune, but an entire choir! It's a wonder I never was arrested for practicing proctology without a license. I not so politely "informed" them that they need to not just fire the web designers they have, but to also make sure they never worked in the the trade again, then hire competent ones!
My parents bank informed them that they HAD to use Microsoft Edge in order to access their accounts online. I was like BS and installed I believe it was Firefox's user agent something so I could make their Firefox look like it was Microsoft Edge to the bank. Now they can access their accounts just fine and are not forced to use Microsoft's spyware.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

argentwolf wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:11 pm Today this difficulty and illusory conflict between .odt and .doc(x) formats doesn't exist...at what point do we stop enabling its perceived continuation and allow the file association to work in all OS's and office suites? :? :? :?
I agree, but Microsoft word has some sort of a block where it will NOT open .odt files no matter what I do.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I have a similar problem. On my Windows computer, WordPerfect will not open up .odt files unless I add the Windows .net framework. That computer is not connected to the internet, and I'm just not going to install the .net framework anyway, so my solution is to save the files that I need to transfer to my Windows computer as .rtf files (I transfer them via USB stick in case anyone was wondering).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It tells me that the .odt files are "corrupt" and offers to "fix" them. Clicking yes, opens the file, and it looks fine. I guess just one more way MS wants to make you use their product and their file format. Yuck.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

The .rtf format won't work for you guys?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Schultz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:06 pm The .rtf format won't work for you guys?
Because there are different complexities of Word files, RTF might be ok with simpler documents. RTF won't
work if you're creating a document with some OLE objects and other inserted objects like shapes, etc.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Schultz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:59 pm I have a similar problem. On my Windows computer, WordPerfect will not open up .odt files unless I add the Windows .net framework. That computer is not connected to the internet, and I'm just not going to install the .net framework anyway, so my solution is to save the files that I need to transfer to my Windows computer as .rtf files
(I transfer them via USB stick in case anyone was wondering).
I much prefer Telegram to transfer files between my various devices,
* cellphone
* Mint
* Mint on Office desktop
* and sigh, in Win10 if I choose to select it from Grub on bootup.
* and to my Daughter if I want to send her Sensitive info and not let Google or Facebook look at it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:11 pm I updated windows, I know bad idea, but I could not avoid it.
you knew it was bad, why did you do it...why could you not avoid it ?
I do NOT use windows for anything important, since window Vista, but I do "play" with it just to stay in the loop.
I am typing this right now on a win 10 machine that has not been updated in at least two years, or the total time I owned it.
ss-win10.jpeg
I disable auto updates straight away.
And after this post I'll take away windows right to the internet as well. windows not so bad if you take charge of it, do not let it take charge of you.

Since you "apparently" did know better, but went ahead with an update, (or did not know how to stop it ?) your "rant" is not really valid, and is quite hard to feel sorry for you. Simply put an end to windows updates, you will have no reason to rant.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

Schultz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:59 pm I have a similar problem. On my Windows computer, WordPerfect will not open up .odt files unless I add the Windows .net framework. That computer is not connected to the internet, and I'm just not going to install the .net framework anyway, so my solution is to save the files that I need to transfer to my Windows computer as .rtf files (I transfer them via USB stick in case anyone was wondering).
".net framework" is mostly just a library used by many software in Windows ecosystem. I remember each new version of Windows incorporate the latest versions of ".net" pre-installed. When a software uses a version of ".net" newer than what Windows has provided, one will need to install it. ".net" is not much different from "GTK" or "Qt" in Linux. I don't get why you are paranoid against installing .net framework.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rickNS wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:13 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:11 pm I updated windows, I know bad idea, but I could not avoid it.
you knew it was bad, why did you do it...why could you not avoid it ?
I do NOT use windows for anything important, since window Vista, but I do "play" with it just to stay in the loop.
I am typing this right now on a win 10 machine that has not been updated in at least two years, or the total time I owned it.
ss-win10.jpeg

I disable auto updates straight away.
And after this post I'll take away windows right to the internet as well. windows not so bad if you take charge of it, do not let it take charge of you.

Since you "apparently" did know better, but went ahead with an update, (or did not know how to stop it ?) your "rant" is not really valid, and is quite hard to feel sorry for you. Simply put an end to windows updates, you will have no reason to rant.
I did go into registry and block "feature updates", but Windows has been pushing some "stealth" updates demanding I "upgrade" to Windows 11 to which I keep say No! I allow security updates since Windows in inherently insecure. Once I found out how to hack the registry to stop those things, I did so. But it now appears that the "update" which bollixed things up came in as an OFFICE update to their "trust center", which I am still trying to unfark.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Also .net is one of those things Steam complains about for some reason. While I no longer get "feature" updates, the .net updates come in, and since I am not sure what I will break if I disable .net, I am erring on the side of caution.
TaterChip
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TaterChip »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:39 am I did go into registry and block "feature updates", but Windows has been pushing some "stealth" updates demanding I "upgrade" to Windows 11 to which I keep say No! I allow security updates since Windows in inherently insecure. Once I found out how to hack the registry to stop those things, I did so. But it now appears that the "update" which bollixed things up came in as an OFFICE update to their "trust center", which I am still trying to unfark.
This is why my Win10 machine had the same version of windows (when I switched to linux last year) as time of purchase. I went in and took ownership of system32 then deleted the .exe responsible for updates. No way microsoft was screwing up my machine ever again. The got me once on our win7 machine, wasn't happening on my win10 machine.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:41 am Also .net is one of those things Steam complains about for some reason. While I no longer get "feature" updates, the .net updates come in, and since I am not sure what I will break if I disable .net, I am erring on the side of caution.
If you still need to use windows, as some people do, try some the suggestions on this page.
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-st ... rmanently/
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Just as a laugh, when last I had a windows machine "updates" suggested I "upgrade" to windows 11 and to download their "compatibility" tool. All well and good, I installed their tool which informed me that my machine was not "compatible", which I knew already, so stay where you are. Which I did, subsequent "updates" insisted It update to w11 and, 'blah, blah". You'd think that Microsoft would be smart enough to determine that the machine was not compatible with W11 at the outset and NOT offer the upgrade path as a result!
Last edited by SMG on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
TaterChip
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TaterChip »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:55 pm Just as a laugh, when last I had a windows machine "updates" suggested I "upgrade" to windows 11 and to download their "compatibility" tool. All well and good, I installed their tool which informed me that my machine was not "compatible", which I knew already, so stay where you are. Which I did, subsequent "updates" insisted It update to w11 and, 'blah, blah". You'd think that Microsoft would be smart enough to determine that the machine was not compatible with W11 at the outset and NOT offer the upgrade path as a result!
Microsoft doesn't care if it bricks your machine as long as it can collect your data

Return to “Open Chat”