Repost - ARM Architecture release?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bryanjr
Level 1
Level 1

Repost - ARM Architecture release?

Post by bryanjr »

All of the older posts here asking about a ARM/aarch64 release of Mint are all locked, so I have to ask again in a new thread: Is there's any change to the "Nope, no ARM release for Mint is coming", position since earlier this year?

I've used Mint in a virtual machine on multiple Intel-based Macs for web development over the years, but I have to move onto a newer Mac now and I don't have an x86 choice - which means no more Mint without an ARM release. I admittedly don't understand what's involved in doing an ARM-based build, but it still sucks to leave such a great distro.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Repost - ARM Architecture release?

Post by SMG »

bryanjr wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:24 pm All of the older posts here asking about a ARM/aarch64 release of Mint are all locked, so I have to ask again in a new thread: Is there's any change to the "Nope, no ARM release for Mint is coming", position since earlier this year?
This is a user forum where users help other users. Please follow the Linux Mint Blog to keep up with potential future changes.

The next version of Linux Mint (21.3) is based on Ubuntu 22.04 just like the other versions of Linux Mint 21 so there is no change since the beginning of this year.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
bryanjr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bryanjr »

SMG wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:49 pm This is a user forum where users help other users. Please follow the Linux Mint Blog to keep up with potential future changes.
Ok, no problem. I was just using the same category the other posts I'd seen on the topic used.
SMG wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:49 pm The next version of Linux Mint (21.3) is based on Ubuntu 22.04 just like the other versions of Linux Mint 21 so there is no change since the beginning of this year.
I hope that if there's enough of a market to serve (as more old Intel-based Mac users lose their aging Intel-based hardware) that doing an aarch64 build would be reconsidered.
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

Some google search shows me that you can still run Mint in VM even for ARM-based Mac. Maybe slower but still working.

https://mac.getutm.app/
Windows. Linux. Meet Apple Silicon.

UTM employs Apple's Hypervisor virtualization framework to run ARM64 operating systems on Apple Silicon at near native speeds. On Intel Macs, x86/x64 operating system can be virtualized. In addition, lower performance emulation is available to run x86/x64 on Apple Silicon as well as ARM64 on Intel. For developers and enthusiasts, there are dozens of other emulated processors as well including: ARM32, MIPS, PPC, and RISC-V. Your Mac can now truly run anything.
p.s. Apple Silicon is still a far distance away from native Linux support. Asahi Linux is where such development is mainly occurring in. Many of their stuff haven't been upstreamed yet. And even they haven't get the GPU acceleration ready at the moment.
bryanjr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bryanjr »

billyswong wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:45 am Some google search shows me that you can still run Mint in VM even for ARM-based Mac. Maybe slower but still working.

https://mac.getutm.app/
Windows. Linux. Meet Apple Silicon.

UTM employs Apple's Hypervisor virtualization framework to run ARM64 operating systems on Apple Silicon at near native speeds. On Intel Macs, x86/x64 operating system can be virtualized. In addition, lower performance emulation is available to run x86/x64 on Apple Silicon as well as ARM64 on Intel. For developers and enthusiasts, there are dozens of other emulated processors as well including: ARM32, MIPS, PPC, and RISC-V. Your Mac can now truly run anything.
p.s. Apple Silicon is still a far distance away from native Linux support. Asahi Linux is where such development is mainly occurring in. Many of their stuff haven't been upstreamed yet. And even they haven't get the GPU acceleration ready at the moment.
Thanks - I'll look into UTM (and Asahi Linux, for that matter) more seriously. I'd seen those options in searches, but I've been a VMWare Fusion + Linux Mint user for years 'cause they've both been great pieces of software overall.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

So use Ubuntu. It's also a great distro, from which almost all the software in the Mint repos comes, and supports ARM. I don;t think Mint's position on this will change soon. I've been seeing this question here for years.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
bryanjr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bryanjr »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:18 pm So use Ubuntu. It's also a great distro, from which almost all the software in the Mint repos comes, and supports ARM. I don;t think Mint's position on this will change soon. I've been seeing this question here for years.
I couldn't get immediate approval to install UTM, so I went with Ubuntu Server and installed Cinnamon and Ubuntu Desktops. It's not Mint (and I share some of the same philosophical concerns about Ubuntu that the maintainers have), but it's Good Enough. Trying out AlmaLinux for good measure.

I hope that the Mint maintainers eventually address the tiny ARM elephant sitting over in the corner.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

WHatever philosophical issues with Ubuntu you may have (I assume you mean things like snaps), they do not force any of those things on you, contrary to what some misguided users here say. It's an opt in v. opt out situation and you can easily opt out. IMHO most of these 'philosophical' differences Mint has are really a matter of trying to differentiate Mint from Ubuntu more now that every Mint supported desktop is now also Ubuntu supported. Pure FUD.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:45 pm WHatever philosophical issues with Ubuntu you may have (I assume you mean things like snaps), they do not force any of those things on you, contrary to what some misguided users here say. It's an opt in v. opt out situation and you can easily opt out.
Could you please provide some documentation about the "opt in v. opt out situation and you can easily opt out"?

While I am aware snaps can be removed and not used, I am not aware of it being an "easy opt in opt out" type of situation. This Remove Snap Ubuntu 22.04 LTS also indicates there can be downsides and one must take specific steps to remove snaps in Ubuntu.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

I don't like snaps. I prefer apt and if I were to choose a "global package management" method that would be flatpak at least for now. You cannot opt out of Snaps at installation. They are forced upon you when you install Ubuntu. Of course you can purge them afterwards and bring Ubuntu closer to your needs but it's getting more and more tedious with every new version. Desnapification of latest xubuntu LTS is easy. But in my favourite flavour, Ubuntu Mate, snaps are interwoven deeply into the system. You lose Mate Tweaks and a few other iconic Ubuntu Mate additions in order to get rid of snaps. Previously you could replace those Ubuntu specific Mate additions shipping as snaps with a PPA. Now this PPA is not updated any longer. So it is not that philosophical. Ubuntu puts some roadblocks, more or less significant, to my way. Thankfully, I get the best of Ubuntu from... Mint :D
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
I have just 'converted' my sixth senior citizen from Mac to PC+Mint all of whom couldn't be happier.
Why isn't that an option for you?
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 3 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Win7-Starter 32bit, ASUS Atom (2011)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

SMG wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:11 pm ... While I am aware snaps can be removed and not used, I am not aware of it being an "easy opt in opt out" type of situation. This Remove Snap Ubuntu 22.04 LTS also indicates there can be downsides and one must take specific steps to remove snaps in Ubuntu.
Those steps are not difficult. And if you want a program and it's only supported in Snap format, which is only going to happen more often in the future, that's also a downside is it not?

I don't use any snaps, not yet anyway, or flatpak. I do have an appimage or two.

Portable software is just going to get more common in Linux because dealing with no stable APIs in Linux and no consistent packaging systems is a lot to ask of software dev. Who are usually unpaid. Remember, most of those Linux geeks who did so much in the 90s are middle aged now and many of them have actual lives. And after the dotcom crash c. 2000, the enrolment in most CS schoold/departments went down considerable. The local univ here used to put out 30 CS graduates a year. Since 2000 it's less than 10.

And of course, this being Linux, while portable software is a great idea, why do you need three types?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:42 pmThose steps are not difficult.
Those steps are not "an easy opt in opt out". An easy opt in opt out implies there is a checkbox somewhere either during the installation process or during setup of the operating system.

Those steps are a go do an internet search on how to remove snaps and follow the steps on some stranger's website. I've never before heard anyone call that process an "easy opt in opt out".
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:42 pm And of course, this being Linux, while portable software is a great idea, why do you need three types?
AppImage will inevitably let software bundling themselves outdated, security-hole-unfixed libraries. And no built-in update/upgrade infrastructure so users may never notice.

Flatpak is only used for user application, not system software. I heard there is Fedora Silverblue which experiments in making the OS as Flatpak as possible, but I have never tried it myself.

Snap is "compile once for all future Ubuntu", but not fully portable as the software update / hosting infrastructure is fixed to pointing at Canonical. You can't setup a separate Snap hosting for your own fork of certain software, or for any software that Canonical refuse to host. (Unless you give up the software update / upgrade support provided by the packaging format. Then of course you can distribute packages as normal web download.)

In my opinion Snap is like Firewire, technically good but hindered by political decisions, thus losing the chance of becoming universal.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”