Mate Applets ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bastrazu
Level 1
Level 1

Mate Applets ?

Post by bastrazu »

Hi,
Ive been using cinnamon and had active applets for convenience.
I had a crash so had to install and thought Id downgrade re pc performance to Mate.

I see I can right-click and "add to panel" and in there are a variety of applets. Im guessing that IS the same as the cinnamon version of applets/desklets feature. But in the cinnamon one you could search and download applets which are often updated. One I used almost every day is a screenshot one for both recording screen image and recording. I depend on that and cant for the life of me find it in Mate.

I stumbled across some screenshot plugin in Compiz settings but cant figure out how to "set" it. it lists two groups, shift, alt etc and then button 1, button2 etc but fkd if I can figure out how to set the hotkeys in that.

Can someone please let me know if the cinnamon applets/desklets ARE available on Mate and if so how do I activate it or how on earth do I get a similar tool in MATE. I honestly didnt think it would be this complicated!
thanks
Julie
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mate Applets ?

Post by billyswong »

Cinnamon applets are incompatible with MATE applets. They don't interbreed. In theory one can write custom MATE applets too. But MATE is not popular enough to attract developers outside.

So you will need to find another screen recording software for your need. MATE only has built-in support of taking static screenshot. Either you press Printscreen key on keyboard or you fire up the "take screenshot" program from menu.

You may give Kazam a try for screencast https://github.com/henrywoo/kazam
bastrazu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bastrazu »

Thank you,
I have found Flameshot which is even better than the cinnamon applet since it also allows for adding shapes and highlights before saving.

I know more use cinnamon but I am finding a few people with memory leaks issues esp with gaming/steam/proton. And even not gaming, I found sometimes its like it wasnt caching where once Id been logged on for a while, it would start glitching, work for 30 seconds, freeze for a second, work for 30 seconds, freeze for a second horrid cycle. So I was constantly having to reboot to flush. It bloated or something.

Having put on Mate, its not happening and I even like the better graphics look and feel, text is easier to read with the default font etc. So Im happy without cinnamons bells and whistles that drain it and no more having to constantly reboot to flush it. Mate with just the basic guts is all I need. A long as it has the panels thats good. I can add anything else I want myself.
thanks
Julie
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I've used SimpleScreenRecorder in the past and it worked fine back then. (I'm on Mate also, but that has nothing to do with recommending SimpleScreenRecorder.)
bastrazu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bastrazu »

I have dloaded that one to compare .. and perhaps Mate isnt "unpopular" as such.

I wouldnt necessarily use the word "unpolular" just because it hasnt got the majority. Cinnanom has the majority because thats the one thats pushed and promoted so people tend to flock to that first. But I know quite a few that have gone from Cinnamon to Mate and I would now be recommending Mate over and above Cinnamon. Cinnamon's bells and whistles seem thrown together and messy, whereas Mate, it all seems to blend extremely well
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

I am a MATE user myself.

MATE is a conservative GNOME 2 fork. So it is reasonable finding it more coherent yet less featured.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mate, not Cinnamon, is Linux Mint's real claim to fame. When Ubuntu dropped Gnome and released Unity, many users hated it. Rightly IMHO. And Mate just happened to be the closest thing to Gnome 2 around and a number of users switched. Before that Mint was just another piddling little Ubuntu based distro, of which there were and are many.

And, as many have noticed, Mate (like Gnome 2) still does the job just fine. Personally I'm a KDE person but I prefer Mate to Cinnamon.

Basically all GUI window environments do the same things they did in Gnome 2. Or even before that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “MATE”