Old user; New to Forum

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mishaguyas
Level 1
Level 1

Old user; New to Forum

Post by mishaguyas »

Hi all! The "community.linuxmint.com" page says I have to come introduce myself to get a code to make an account...sooo here I am!

I've been paying around with linux (mostly mint and ubuntu) since the Windows XP days. I used to have a computer repair business and worked mostly with Windows. I loved Win 7, but everything after that.... blech. I dual booted Win 7 (and Win 10 for a while) but found that linux and windoes don't play well after a while when on the same drive, so I started using separate HDD drives and a hot-swap rack. I stuck with Win 7 until my hdd crashed, about a year ago. I do have Win 10 installed on a drive that I swap out (hot-swap bay) and have been using Mint and Ubuntu Studio when I don't do something where I have to use Win 10....mostly using Adobe Premier which I can't run on 7 and cant activate in Linux. I do media production, now, and not computer repair. I've been able to install and run Davinci Resolve, but not Adobe Premier.

Anyway, I love U-Studio, but found that it doesn't play well with drives +2TB (which is most of my storage) so switched back to Mint, which installed without flaw on my 8TB HDD.

I really love mint, though I wish I could set different wallpapers on each monitor desktop, as I could in U-Studio. I used to be able to do that in Windows, too, with the stardock desktop suite, but ...alas....that only runs on Windows, too.

Anyway, I wanted to get in to the community page to add a rating for the Elisa music player, because it crashes now on launch after their recent update. I've tried other players but really like(d) Elisa before she started goin' all whacko.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell....well... maybe a coconut shell :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, I'm not a robot...at least that was true the last time I checked. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by SMG on Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to use proper term of "Windows".
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Old user; New to Forum

Post by SMG »

mishaguyas wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:22 pm Hi all! The "community.linuxmint.com" page says I have to come introduce myself to get a code to make an account...sooo here I am!
Welcome to the forum, mishaguyas.

Could you provide a link where it says you were supposed to come to the forum to get a code? If you do not have an account on the Community website, the links lead you to a page to create an account which indicate:
To prevent SPAM bots from harming our community, we now require a registration code. Connect to the chatroom (From within Linux Mint, launch Menu->Welcome Screen, click Help on the left and then launch the IRC Chat Room), introduce yourself and ask for a registration code.
If you found a page which indicates to come to the forum for a code, please let us know so we can get that corrected. The forum and the community website are two different databases and the logins for each are separate. We do not provide codes on the forum for the community website.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mint and the forums!
mishaguyas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mishaguyas »

Could you provide a link where it says you were supposed to come to the forum to get a code? If you do not have an account on the Community website, the links lead you to a page to create an account which indicate:
To prevent SPAM bots from harming our community, we now require a registration code. Connect to the chatroom (From within Linux Mint, launch Menu->Welcome Screen, click Help on the left and then launch the IRC Chat Room), introduce yourself and ask for a registration code.
That's exactly the info I got. I did try the IRC Chat link in the Mint "Welcome" menu, and it didn't work....like I never clicked it.
If you found a page which indicates to come to the forum for a code, please let us know so we can get that corrected. The forum and the community website are two different databases and the logins for each are separate. We do not provide codes on the forum for the community website.
Here's the page link:

https://community.linuxmint.com/auth/register
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello mishaguyas,
Welcome to Linux Mint forum, enjoy the journey!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mishaguyas wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:44 pmThat's exactly the info I got. I did try the IRC Chat link in the Mint "Welcome" menu, and it didn't work....like I never clicked it.
What version of Linux Mint are you using?
Did you try opening HexChat from the menu? I believe the default is to attach you to the Linux Mint IRC.
mishaguyas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mishaguyas »

I'm using Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64. I didn't open HexChat manually, but now that I did, it has connected me to the linuxmint-help chat. I'll ask there. thank you so much! :) :) :)
Jeanpatou
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jeanpatou »

Hello, how to get a registration code ?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Jeanpatou wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:45 am Hello, how to get a registration code ?
To get a registration code for the Community Forum you need to open HexChat from the menu and request a code. It's my understanding when you open HexChat the default is to attach you to the Linux Mint IRC so all you will need to do is type, "I need registration code".

Return to “Introduce Yourself”