Module vboxguest not loaded

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dbet1
Level 1
Level 1

Module vboxguest not loaded

Post by dbet1 »

When running Linux Mint under Virtualbox, I noticed that I always have to install the guest extensions if I want full functionality or just want to set a decent screen resolution. Ubuntu doesn't require that.

The vbox modules are included in the linux-modules-extra-{kernel-version} package and the modules are also loaded in Ubuntu, but not in Linux Mint, even though this package is installed.

Where is the problem?
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Module vboxguest not loaded

Post by Reddog1 »

Not all distributions include the necessary packages in their Package Manager.

Generally, it is a bad idea to install VirtualBox from a distribution's Package Manager, because the PM version is always behind (way behind in the case of Mint) the version released by Oracle. That means you won't have the bug fixes and features that the newest version has, so it is always best to get VBox from the Oracle download site, along with the Extensions package.

Once VB and the Extensions are installed, the Guest Additions will be under the 'Devices' section of the header menu, and can be installed easily (except Xfce doesn't allow the GA file to 'click and run', and GA must be installed manually with that desktop).

I don't see this as a 'problem', I see the packaged install from the distribution as a problem, because if I want to use the latest VBox, from Oracle, I must uninstall all of that PM dreck first.
Last edited by Reddog1 on Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Checking in an Ubuntu VM (23.10), I removed guest additions then rebooted. All GA functions lost (no full screen, no shared folders) even though linux-modules-extra-[kernel] still installed. Separately, there are some guest-util packages available (designed for Ubuntu/Mint as guest), but Ubuntu hasn't installed them by default for years and those are more trouble than they're worth anyway.

Bottom line, use VBox as designed. If you want GA functions, install GAs. Doesn't take long. Version 7.0 even has a nifty update function.
dbet1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbet1 »

I have not installed any Virtualbox packages within the VM, not even in Ubuntu VM's.

With Ubuntu I can change the screen resolution without having to install anything additional, with Linux Mint I have to install the Virtualbox Guest Addons. Where does this difference come from?

The Virtualbox guest addons are not that easy to install, and I don't know how to get rid of them completely.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

dbet1 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:16 am The Virtualbox guest addons are not that easy to install
Yes it is, you just don't want to.
I don't know how to get rid of them completely.
There's a script in the guest's /opt folder.

Return to “Virtual Machines”