Nemo File Manager

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
TaterChip
Level 4
Level 4

Nemo File Manager

Post by TaterChip »

Coming from Thunar there is a lot that I like about the Nemo File Manager. However there is one feature that I used quite frequently on Thunar. I enjoyed being able to right click on a file, select send to, and either create a link on my desktop or attach it to an email.

Would it be possible to have this feature added into Nemo?
MSI Steel series GL75 Leopard, i7-10750H, 64GB RAM ... Mint21.1 XFCE
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Nemo File Manager

Post by xenopeek »

As the "send to" functionality was removed from Nemo, I don't think it's coming back but you can re-implement what you describe with Nemo Actions. If you search for "nemo actions" you'll find several users have shared their action scripts on GitHub. Like smurphos made an action to attach a file to an email from the file manager: https://github.com/smurphos/nemo_action ... il-actions

This sample file contains the info for writing your own actions for Nemo: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/blob/ ... emo_action
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Screenshot from 2023-11-30 10-58-48.png
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
TaterChip
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TaterChip »

all41 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:01 pm Screenshot from 2023-11-30 10-58-48.png
Thanks, by activating the "make link" and "move to" option, I was able to achieve sort of the same thing as far as to getting it on the desktop. It takes a few more steps and there's still not a way to get it into my email client Without having to go into the client, then browse, come back into the file manager and select the thing that I was wanting to send when I was originally in the file manager.

For the time being I will just run both file managers to make things a little simpler.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:56 pm As the "send to" functionality was removed from Nemo, I don't think it's coming back
Stoopid Question: WHY was it removed, do you happen to know? Seems like a trivial thing to have kept it.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
TaterChip
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TaterChip »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:56 pm As the "send to" functionality was removed from Nemo, I don't think it's coming back but you can re-implement what you describe with Nemo Actions. If you search for "nemo actions" you'll find several users have shared their action scripts on GitHub. Like smurphos made an action to attach a file to an email from the file manager: https://github.com/smurphos/nemo_action ... il-actions

This sample file contains the info for writing your own actions for Nemo: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/blob/ ... emo_action
Thanks for the info, I'll just run two file managers. The way my luck runs, I'll screw something up by trying to change things.
TaterChip
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TaterChip »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:46 pm
xenopeek wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:56 pm As the "send to" functionality was removed from Nemo, I don't think it's coming back
Stoopid Question: WHY was it removed, do you happen to know? Seems like a trivial thing to have kept it.
I suspect it was another update by a dev that took away functionality because they felt you didn't need it. It also shows I need to treat linux updates just like I treated windows updates.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The send by email option was removed in Nemo 4.8 because of security vulnerability https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-27748 in xdg-email, which Nemo used for sending email.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks Xenopeek, that makes more sense than, "I think you don't need it!". I did appreciate the shortcut to make a new link however, the current method works as long as you remember that it AIN'T Windows! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
billyswong
Level 7
Level 7

Post by billyswong »

TaterChip wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:49 pm Thanks, by activating the "make link" and "move to" option, I was able to achieve sort of the same thing as far as to getting it on the desktop. It takes a few more steps and there's still not a way to get it into my email client Without having to go into the client, then browse, come back into the file manager and select the thing that I was wanting to send when I was originally in the file manager.

For the time being I will just run both file managers to make things a little simpler.
I think most email clients, even some webmail clients, support drag and drop? That is, after your open a new email window, drag the file from file manager and drop it on the compose mail window to trigger the file attachment operation.
TaterChip
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TaterChip »

thanks

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”