Bad install of dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dave L
Level 1
Level 1

Bad install of dual boot

Post by Dave L »

Serious problems. I installed Linux Mint alongside of Win 11. The Grub menu comes up ok and I can log into Linux. However, I cannot log into Win11. The only reason I kept Win 11 is for the files, but I do have them backed up. It is fine with me to just use Linux as my only OS. But I have the hard disk partitioned in to about 2/3 Win and 1 Linux. I hope this can be re-partitioned into one for Linux only? I tried to reboot from the installation USB, but Gigabyte won't let me do that. But at least I can log into Linux.
The other difficulty I have is Linux does not automatically recognize my WI-FI connections as Windows does. So, I have no connections on Linux and I do not know how to re-configure them manually. I tried, but could not get the SSID right.
I would appreciate any help I can get to get connected and the partitions fixed. Thanks.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Bad install of dual boot

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

First you can use your mobile internet connection on installed Mint and then provide some usefull information as indicated here.

Run sudo parted -l; sudo blkid and post back result on the same way (using </> Codes option on forum editor).
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
Dave L
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave L »

Respectfully, I cannot use the WI-FI on Linux as there is none. That is the problem I need to solve first so I can complete the Linux Mint install properly and get the necessary updates, etc.
It is my understanding that Linux does not automatically attach proprietary drivers to its installs, that is left up to the user. Which, I do not know how to do.
I do not have the drivers for the USB adapter currently on the desk top, but I did buy another adapter that is both Linux and Windows, which came with a CD for the drivers. Difficulty is, I do not have a CD drive on the desktop.
The partition difficulty will have to be dealt with later. However, on that same subject, I was able to go into the parted app on Linux and saw the stats: the C drive NTFS is 68.58 Windows while the drive containing Linux is 49.37 GB. The entire SSD is only about 230 Gigs as I recall. The D drive is 1 TB. Also, registry files are missing for Windows, as is MFC 42u.dll. Something bad happened when I followed the direction of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpW9AtlKnP8
and made the dual boot.
I would like to be able to get rid of Windows altogether and just have Linux Mint, but the WI-FI is the problem.
Thanks for any advice on how to fix the WI-FI.
Edit: The current WI-FI USB adapter on the desktop is a AC600 Free Driver USB Adapter.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

You didn't read that link (click here)....or I'm missing something.
Dave L
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave L »

No, I'm the one that missed something. I followed the procedure and got temporary internet via my phone. I downloaded drivers for both USB toggles that I have, which are in my download folder. But I still do not have a permanent Wi-Fi connection. Also, I cannot get back into Windows 11 to work with that.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Post back requested codes result, please.
Dave L
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave L »

Yes of course. Please excuse me, I apologize. I'm 78 years old and not as quick mentally as I used to be. The screenshots are attached. I had to break them down into smaller sections as this site would not allow such a large attachment. I hope this is what you wanted. I don't think I got them in the right order though. Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-12-01 11-57-41.png
Screenshot from 2023-12-01 11-57-15.png
Screenshot from 2023-12-01 11-56-09.png
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Notice first information requested is your system info (inxi -Fxxxz) . That system information will include helpful information about Network as WIFI USB card vendor, driver, chip and state. You need to do as indicated on this link to post back codes result on terminal using </> Codes option on forum editor, not screenshots.

Also you didn't explain what's exactly the problem when trying to boot Windows 11. Installing as indicated on that video (alongside Windows) is not my favorite mode. I do prefer shrinking Windows partition first to make room for Linux from inside Windows so Windows wont need to repair itself after installing. If this happens you'd better let it go on checking/repairing.

Any way, it looks like you are talking about the Windows menuentry on GRUB menu doesn't work . In order you can boot Windows from GRUB menu you need to be sure you are booting on UEFI mode. Without those codes results I'm not sure.
Run sudo os-prober on terminal to see if Windows is detected. It will find Windows efi loader on EFI partition if booting on UEFI mode.

Also run sudo efibootmgr -v. It will get error in case of booting on BIOS mode or, if booting on UEFI mode, it will show boot options on computer's boot menu including Windows Boot Manager.
Most computers use to provide a boot menu when pressing certain key as soon as power on computer (click here to see most cases). Did you try to boot Windows from computer's boot menu?

Return to “Installation & Boot”