Unknown command line

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sw4mint
Level 1
Level 1

Unknown command line

Post by Sw4mint »

Hi. Beginner here. Installed mint 21.2 on Dell pc 7706 2n1 with Win 11 dual boot. Everything was fine until I tried Bitlocker. Wpuld not boot to Win 11. Tried bios boot order reorder for win 11 first. Still no luck. Tried again as it automatically reverted to Linux part first. After several more attempts have managed to really mess it up. Now all I can boot to is black screen with white letters. It says:
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria sue-Inspiron-7706-2n1 ttyl
Sue-Inspiron-7706-2n1 login; Sue
Sue@sue-Inspiron-7706-2n1:$
My confusion begins with what is that prompt? Is it Mint? Is it ms? Is it from bitlocker? I know very few commands but directory request does not work or any others I tried. Dont know where I am in computer. Looks like I need to resort to format, but I don't know how from here. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Catsbark
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Unknown command line

Post by Catsbark »

That's a Linux terminal (tty) prompt. It's asking for Sue's login password. I don't know where it will take you when you put in that password, but it won't be Windows.

Sorry I can't be more help that that.
Catsbark
Dell Inspiron 15; AMD Ryzen 5; LM 20.3 Cinnamon
"A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Unknown command line

Post by mikeflan »

Everything was fine until I tried Bitlocker.
By that do you mean you plugged in a USB stick that was encrypted by bitlocker while you had LM running? If so, did it ask for your password (key)? And were you able to view the contents?

I would not expect that to affect booting into windows later. I suspect that had nothing to do with your problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”