Mini Version of Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

Mini Version of Mint?

Post by please select an »

Hi
I run successfully 2 instances of Mint with just one Application in it in a Virtual Machine. The Software in there run just fine oh wonder. :D
Well I dont need thinks like a Webbrowser in there who could be use to attack other System and need storage space.
Is there a Mini Version who have just everything inside who is need for the GUI and the Software Store to install what the other Software need?
Thanks
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Mini Version of Mint?

Post by Moem »

No, there is no such version of Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Post by spamegg »

There are many other Linux distros better suited for those kinds of mini purposes.

If you just want to run it off a USB stick, then there are distros like Slax and Puppy.
If you want to run things without a GUI, but have access to lots of packages, then you can use vanilla Debian, or Arch, and customize them during installation.
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the late replay. I would like to stick for now for an OS who is Windows like ( :roll: ). I need a GUI for Software who also run in Windows to.
I cant say which Software just the work as I could test for now. The are various Server who ware intend to run on an Client (Win) OS. :wink: :wink:
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

spamegg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:21 pm There are many other Linux distros better suited for those kinds of mini purposes.

If you just want to run it off a USB stick, then there are distros like Slax and Puppy.
If you want to run things without a GUI, but have access to lots of packages, then you can use vanilla Debian, or Arch, and customize them during installation.
I got into minimalist os--many years ago though. dsl, puppy, a few others got a spin.
I would just load the .iso in the toram mode for testing.
I think puppy was toward the middleweight of the bunch and more complete than others.
But it still would fit on a cd (which seemed much more imortant then).
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

For me more important is that not any unwanted Services run where a Hacker or so could do some shady shit.
Aso mention before I run some Services on the Public Internet who should be secure as I could it make.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

spamegg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:21 pm If you want to run things without a GUI, but have access to lots of packages, then you can use vanilla Debian, or Arch, and customize them during installation.
My first thought here was to download and run Debian netinstaller, should be able to make a trimmed down install
Then if needed, UFW to open up only for the needed services + possibly Fail2Ban
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

ivar wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:08 pm
spamegg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:21 pm If you want to run things without a GUI, but have access to lots of packages, then you can use vanilla Debian, or Arch, and customize them during installation.
My first thought here was to download and run Debian netinstaller, should be able to make a trimmed down install
Then if needed, UFW to open up only for the needed services + possibly Fail2Ban
I would probably have suggested Ubuntu Minimal for the sake of user support if they still produced an iso for a currently supported Ubuntu release but I don't think that's the case.

The Debian user base has a high average level of expertise. That's good if you know what to look for on their support sites. You don't have to slog through pages and pages that never go anywhere. But it also means that they won't hold your hand and walk you through everything.

If you wanted something really small but more useable OOTB I'd try Antix, which comes with Window Manager environments rather than full desktop environments. I use it on my old POC netbook, running IceWM. It only uses 150Mb or so at boot. Their forum support is pretty damn good for a small distro too. They do recommend not changing user defaults and I agree. WMs aren't nearly as integrated as DEs and you'd really have to know what you're doing to start changing them.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Precisely what in the frak has that to do with that the OP is saying?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

I toughs I was the OP... :? That is what I want to run on an Small Linux OS (with an GUI).
So everyone here know what I am interested in Software wise.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Your could hardly be less clear. Is English not your first language?
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Post by spamegg »

please select an wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:30 pm For me more important is that not any unwanted Services run where a Hacker or so could do some shady shit.
That's more of a Windows issue. Not an issue on Linux in general.
Aso mention before I run some Services on the Public Internet who should be secure as I could it make.
It's hard to understand what you are describing here, but if you want the most security / privacy in public, you can go with Qubes OS, or Tails. However these are much more aimed at experts.

I guess what you are lacking is knowledge, and what you really need is much more expertise in system administration and security. You might want to study some Linux system admin / security books or courses. When you have this expertise, you can accomplish what you are trying to do here with pretty much any distro. For example start with minimal Debian installer, then set it up for your purposes. Gain the knowledge first!

Also I find it strange that you are so security conscious but want something Windows-like, which is one of the least secure OSes out there.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:11 pm Your could hardly be less clear.
Or you could say "I'm sorry, I got confused, clearly you are indeed the OP". Why so rude?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Moem wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:30 am
Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:11 pm Your could hardly be less clear.
Or you could say "I'm sorry, I got confused, clearly you are indeed the OP". Why so rude?
I think Hoser Rob was referring to the Opening Topic. That is how I read it.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
please select an
Level 1
Level 1

OP = Original Poster. :roll:
However these are much more aimed at experts.
Thats my problem I dont know the major thinks yet...
You might want to study some Linux system admin / security books or courses.
The problem is my Brain are not functioning write so I have issuse reading more than afview sentence. Are there some Video who explain something? Maybe at an Conference?
Thanks

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”