Military Veteran (all nations) Linux users

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Aging Technogeek

Military Veteran (all nations) Linux users

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I just responded to a post by a new member and it got me wondering.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 93&start=0

In less than an hour a disabled Viet Nam era vet got 2 responses from Viet Nam vets.

It made me curious enough to open this thread.

How many U.S. (or other nationalities) Viet Nam vets are active Linux users? If there are enough of us, it may be beneficial to start a Nam vets user group for fun and mutual support.

If this idea appeals to you, or if you know of such a group already in existence, please respond here or PM me through the forum.

Thanks for reading,
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Viet Nam vet Linux users

Post by FedoraRefugee »

10ish years too young, thank God I did not have to go through that one. But I know many who did. I just want to thank you, and all vets, for what you did for my country, whether willing or just following the law. Like anything else these days that war has become so politicized that the men who fought, suffered, and died are forgotten. It does not matter the reasons why, you went. And for that I sincerely thank you sir.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

*raises hand* :)

I am a US -- Viet Nam Vet. 1st Cav. (2 tours in Nam)

22 years of Military Service ... 9 years in the Army, 13 years in the Corps.
Aging Technogeek

Semper Fi vrkalak. I did 6 years in the Marine Air Wing. Good to see another ex marine with the good sense to use Mint.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Semper Fi vrkalak. I did 6 years in the Marine Air Wing. Good to see another ex marine with the good sense to use Mint.
There's no such thing as an "ex-Marine" . . . once a Marine always a Marine! :P
BuzzKiller

Post by BuzzKiller »

Aging Technogeek and vrkalak:
Thank you both for your service from a former bubblehead
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

Looks like I'm out numbered by the Marines again........ :D

You guys did the fighting, I did the building, was a combat engineer

I for one would be interested in a Nam Linux User Group
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

In all fairness ... I believe the Viet-nam Veterans Linux User Group or Forum should be available to all Veterans.
And renamed ... Combat-Veterans Linux User Group.

Or for all Veterans (military personal) ... from all countries.

Us, Nam Vets are getting old ... and the young vets are doing their fair share of fighting.
Different place and time .... Just in a desert, instead of a jungle.

Damn, I'm old ... I bought my first computer from Radio Shack in 1984. :lol:
That makes me a Veteran Windows User ... I've only been using Linux for about a year now. :lol:
timber

Re: Military Veteran (all nations) Linux users

Post by timber »

Here's to Vet's then and now, here and there ... cheers to all :!:
82nd Signal Bn ... Viet Nam "era" vet only ... got lucky with my timing as they were winding things down when I went in.

That didn't happen to be a TRS-80 did it Vrkalak? I had one of those ... 16 whole Kb of ram and Cassette Tape Drive storage.
My attempts at BASIC programming were just that ... very basic but that little machine sure got me hooked.
:lol:
Last edited by timber on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aging Technogeek

Good idea to open up to all vets (all countries, combat or not). Originally, I was just interested that three Viet vets posted to the same thread within 1 hour. Wanted to see what kind of response I might get. The response is positive enough to keep going with it and expand it as stated.

Any military veteran of any nationality, let us hear from you. Lets see what we can come up with.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I still have my TRS-80 model 3...And it still works! I have it set up on a table next to my desk. I still tinker with it now and then but my kids use it all the time. Imagine, in a world with x-boxes, wiis, 4GB RAM quad core computers...They still get a kick out of typing in simple basic programs just to play lame little black and white games with pre-school graphics. Go figure. :lol:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

timber wrote: That didn't happen to be a TRS-80 did it Vrkalak? I had one of those ... 16 whole Kb of ram and Cassette Tape Drive storage.
My attempts at BASIC programming were just that ... very basic but that little machine sure got me hooked.
:lol:
I had 2 of them at one time with tons of software. Sold it all to help pay for my 1st pc which didn't even have windows. I also remember buying a used 30 mb hd and thought I was set on space, little did I know.

Back on topic, all vets is a good idea, there are a lot more of the young guys than us old farts.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I'm getting kinda old . . . and you expect me to remember 1984?? :lol:

All I know it was a PC, bought from Radio Shack. And it had 'green' lettering on the screen. And you could play 'tennis' on it, and a simple version of Space Invaders. :mrgreen:
Fred

Post by Fred »

I am a little surprised there are so many "Jar Heads" floating around here. :-)

9 years USMC. Three tours in Nam, all in the I corp area. 3/5, 5th Marine Reg. 1st Force Recon, and 7th Marines 3rd Force Recon. Left the Corps in '69.

Semper Fi

Fred
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

My 2 tours in Nam ... I was in the US Army. 1st Cav. (Air Mobile) ... "helicopter door gunner" and part-time "tunnel-rat"

I joined the Corps after . . . I'm a Hollywood Marine. :lol: :P <<< only a 'true' jar-head would know what that means
gordon.cooke

Post by gordon.cooke »

Us young guys are around too. ESSAYONS! ALLONS! (yeah what is up with so many Marines?)

Army Combat Engineer- 11th Cavalry, Mosul, Iraq
Aging Technogeek

Good to hear from the younger generation. That's why I changed the title of the thread from Viet Nam vets to all vets. It doesn't matter where or when you served, just that you served.
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

Hey Vets,

I'm kinda gettin' used to green again. Marines and Irish :lol:
Last edited by dwflo on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Chu Lai 5 months in '66 and Danang 8 months in '67, USN MCB4 Seabees. Been there, done that, with "Can Do Spirit."
Aging Technogeek

just a bump to see if any new responders are out there.

Return to “Open Chat”