OneForAll URC-9040

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bsu74

OneForAll URC-9040

Post by bsu74 »

This remote control usually is used for TV/PVR/Settop Box control with IR and also has a USB wireless receiver that has no drivers for windows as it is meant to be recognized as an Human Interface Device(HID).

I am not worried about using the supplied software Media Manager as I have a Linux version of Boxee. I just need to know how I can get Mint (latest distro) to recognise the USB receiver so I can use the remote to control Boxee.

I am very much a Mint and LINUX newbie so any answers please be patient, thank you

Bilbo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: OneForAll URC-9040

Post by remoulder »

bsu74 wrote:how I can get Mint (latest distro) to recognise the USB receiver so I can use the remote to control Boxee.
Bilbo, there aren't many posts about this particular device on the ubuntu forums and the ones there are have gone unanswered, so it's not looking good. I found a post about another device that mentioned this website http://lircconfig.commandir.com/ but can't vouch for it. Others have recommended the mythbuntu-lirc-generator which is in the repos but I believe you have to have configured lirc first. See http://www.lirc.org/. There also a few posts about lirc in the forums here, try a search on that term.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
bsu74

Post by bsu74 »

Thank you for the reply, but the USB HID is a wireless receiver for the remote. It works as an IR remote for my TV,PVR/set top box and has a wiress dongle that plugs into a USB port to control the media centre so the lirc links were not much help, but I did find mention of 'usbhid'
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

bsu74 wrote:the USB HID is a wireless receiver for the remote.
bsu74 wrote:I did find mention of 'usbhid'
Yes I understand that, you plug in your device and it should load the usbhid kernel module, if not you can load it manually with modprobe usbid. But once loaded, it is basically just another ir receiver and you need to configure lirc to interface with it.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Hardware Support”