Mint 21.3 Beta with Wayland

Questions about the experimental Wayland support on Linux Mint Cinnamon
Forum rules
Include your system information for help with troubleshooting. Report reproducible issues related to Wayland, whether for Cinnamon, an XApp, a Mint tool or any Linux Mint maintained software on the dedicated issue tracker. Topics in this forum are automatically closed after 6 months.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Mint 21.3 Beta with Wayland

Post by Pepi »

Been running Mint 21.3 Beta for a few days now and it runs great! My question is ... What is so great about Wayland? I really don't notice any speed changes. I do notice some apps will not run (like Gparted).

Good job Clem and the gang 8)
Last edited by SMG on Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added Beta to title and description because LM21.3 has not yet been released. Subsequently moved to Wayland forum.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint 21.3 with Wayland

Post by JeremyB »

Any program that asks for a password right away usually has issues in Wayland, Gparted, Synaptic, Software Sources but if you know the programs real name you might be able to run in terminal with sudo synaptic, or whatever
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

JeremyB wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:29 pm Any program that asks for a password right away usually has issues in Wayland, Gparted, Synaptic, Software Sources but if you know the programs real name you might be able to run in terminal with sudo synaptic, or whatever
Yeah, I figured that out. But what is so great about Wayland? I really don't see anything that it does than is better than good ole X
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

There is tons of info on x11 vs Wayland, here's something: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... over_xorg/

And something else: https://www.howtogeek.com/900698/what-i ... nt-from-x/
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moonraker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Moonraker »

Pepi wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:47 pmYeah, I figured that out. But what is so great about Wayland? I really don't see anything that it does than is better than good ole X
In a nutshell, there are no plans for *any* future development of X. It was good while it lasted, and it served its purpose but it's time to move it aside to make way for a better, modern standard.

Wayland is a more efficient and flexible way to talk to monitors, and it's built with an eye towards the future as a standard for accessibility and extendability.

That's a super boiled-down explanation, but I think it's reasonably accurate.

There's lots of people here who know way more about it than I do, so please feel free to jump in and correct me if I've gotten anything wrong.
The future isn't what it used to be.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 21.3 Beta with Wayland

Post by Hoser Rob »

Bear in mind that Wayland support is still very much experimental in 21.3, i.e. early days. KDE doesn't have full Wayland yet either though it's been included for a little while now. Gnome is the only desktop with full Wayland support AFAIK.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Cinnamon on Wayland”