Login loop after sleepless lid closing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ra1sus
Level 1
Level 1

Login loop after sleepless lid closing

Post by ra1sus »

Hey Mint forums,

Something happened with my system for a very "normal" thing I did.

I just wanted to download a bunch of files, they took a while so I closed the lid while keeping the machine working. Eventually when I opened it again I found the login screen which apparently was there because the laptop was idle. I unlocked the screen normally but then I found out the screen being black with some pixelated white horizontal stripes appearing and disappearing in split seconds. I had no choice but to forcely shut down the laptop by long pressing the power button AND holding it (pressing normally does nothing by default in my DE). When I turned it on again I'm shown this error being displayed for the first time before the LM starting logo is shown:

Code: Select all

amd_gpio AMD0030:00: Invalid config param 0013
Since then this error appears every single time. :(
The login screen appears normally, but when I unlock the screen my wallpaper is shown in a split second and the same glitch appears again, but this time the laptop restarts by itself (without the LM shutdown logo).
Surprisingly, by accessing the tty and using the command "startx" from there, I'm shown an XFCE desktop environment which it different from the LM-themed one, yet everything works perfectly well there. When I try rebooting the laptop and startx once again, the same error happens and the laptop reboots itself (again, I logged in as root and startx worked from there, but only at the first time and yet the glitch appears again).

I have an amd64 LM 21.2 Victoria with a 5.15.0-88-generic kernel running on an ASUS VivoBook X510QA. (and obviously an XFCE DE)

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by SMG on Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Software & Applications to Desktop:Xfce.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Login loop after sleepless lid closing

Post by Midnight True »

ra1sus wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:40 pm
Hi and Welcome to the forum

We need more info about your system, please follow the instructions here viewtopic.php?p=1806121#p1806121

Also please share the output of the following terminal command

dmesg | grep -iE 'warn|error|fail' && journalctl -p 0..4 -xb
ra1sus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ra1sus »

Oh okay, Midnight True...

This is inxi -Fxxrzc0:
https://pst.moe/paste/vkusve
And this is the other command you requested:
https://pst.moe/paste/maqwea

People said that usually the issue is either the root directory is almost full to create temporary files or .IDEauthority and .Xauthority are corrupt. I checked these and I found that the root directory is in fact only using 7% of the storage, and when I removed .IDEauthority and .Xauthority, went back to the lockscreen again and entered my password, the glitchy screen ONCE again is shown and stays like that for a bit longer time, and then reboots again. :( (Note that after this dmesg shows "hardware errors" along with the config param 0013. It doesn't do this if I safely turn off the system by the poweroff command.)
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

ra1sus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:24 pm
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: Expanded resource Reserved due to conflict with AMD0020:01
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: AMD-Vi: [Firmware Warn]: EFR mismatch. Use IVHD EFR (0x37ef22294ada : 0x77ef22294ada).
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: pci 0000:00:00.2: can't derive routing for PCI INT A
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: pci 0000:00:00.2: PCI INT A: not connected
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. [mem 0xdd73d000-0xdd73dfff flags 0x200] vs dd73d000 4000
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: can't request region for resource [mem 0xdd73d000-0xdd73dfff]
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: tpm_crb: probe of MSFT0101:00 failed with error -16
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: i8042: PNP: PS/2 appears to have AUX port disabled, if this is incorrect please boot with i8042.nopnp
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: device-mapper: core: CONFIG_IMA_DISABLE_HTABLE is disabled. Duplicate IMA measurements will not be recorded in the IMA log.
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: platform eisa.0: EISA: Cannot allocate resource for mainboard
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 1
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 2
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 3
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 4
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 5
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 6
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 7
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 8
Nov 19 18:04:07 tux kernel: amd_gpio AMD0030:00: Invalid config param 0013
i think its either a hardware error or one of the driver in particular your GPU got corrupted. I am sorry i am not that knowledgeable enough with GPU's
i recommend to share the output of the following terminal command so that other members of the forum would have more info to work with

inxi -G && sudo lshw -C display
Best of luck 🍀
ra1sus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ra1sus »

Midnight True,

I believe that this is a software issue (or a bug?) as I literally had the same thing happened in another installation where I was just trying it out.

Here is the output of the command anyway:
https://pst.moe/paste/gixfgb
https://pst.moe/paste/vwbdcp

I might just reinstall LM and learn from what I did (NEVER close the lid while the laptop's still working), but maybe this is actually a bug that breaks the system on every laptop?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ra1sus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:24 pmThis is inxi -Fxxrzc0:
https://pst.moe/paste/vkusve
This is missing all the data that lets us know what type of computer you have. Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware. We want to see all the data and not just the part from Network on down.
ra1sus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:24 pm... the glitchy screen ONCE again is shown and stays like that for a bit longer time, and then reboots again. :( (Note that after this dmesg shows "hardware errors" along with the config param 0013. It doesn't do this if I safely turn off the system by the poweroff command.)
There is currently an issue with the 5.15 kernel and Stoney graphics that is also affecting a number of people with Wani graphics. The data you just posted indicates your computer has Wani graphics. We don't know what kernel you are using because of the incomplete system information you posted.

It is likely just switching to the 6.2 kernel (available in Update Manager) will fix this issue, but please supply the complete system information so we can let you know if that seems like an appropriate recommendation.

Most computers nowadays do not have EISA so the message Midnight True highlighted is not relevant to any problems. The other highlighted message is one many people are seeing and is also not a problem.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
ra1sus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ra1sus »

SMG,

I tried updating the kernel from the tty, but it's still the exact same!

I don't think I can give more info from a GUI since I don't have it working, even for other newly made accounts the mouse doesn't work on them (group wheel does not exist).

I think it's better to just reinstall LM again after backing it up. It just doesn't want to update the kernel (even when it says that it's updated after sudo apt upgrade). I'm sorry for bothering you with this and I'll just stay not closing my lid while it's still on again. :)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ra1sus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:39 pmI think it's better to just reinstall LM again after backing it up.
After you re-install, do not run the kernel update for 5.15. Go to Update Manager and install 6.2 instead.

Instructions for upgrading to the 6.2 kernel:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 6.2 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
happyamos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by happyamos »

Following because I have a related bug, the screen flickering every time I close the lid. Will try upgrading the kernel as advised. I'm curious though, mainly due to ignorance, why the recommendations above suggest 6.2 instead of 6.5?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

happyamos wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:03 am Following because I have a related bug
Welcome to the forum, happyamos.

What is a "related" bug? If you have an issue which is not the same (which is what it sounds like), you should be creating a new topic for your issue.
happyamos wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:03 amI'm curious though, mainly due to ignorance, why the recommendations above suggest 6.2 instead of 6.5?
When the previous post was made in this topic, only the 6.2 HWE kernel was available in Update Manager. If you have the 6.5 HWE kernel available then you can use that. However you should be posting your system information to make sure either of those kernels is appropriate for your install.
happyamos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by happyamos »

Sorry, I'll start a new post.

Return to “Xfce”