Why LMDE 6 is better than standard Mint Cinnamon?

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Why LMDE 6 is better than standard Mint Cinnamon?

Post by Taur10 »

Moem wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:21 am Here comes the lightly informed opinion from someone who's not using it, so add salt to taste:
It's not. It's another option (equally good as far as I know) and some people strongly dislike Ubuntu, so they prefer an option that's not Ubuntu-based, as you mentioned. I'm not aware of any other common reason.
There is a reason why most people use Main Edition Mint: because it's good, and more known and so it's more supported. But LMDE is great too. Any Mint is great.
Basically you're right, LMDE as I understand it is simply a maintained back up in case for some reason they can't use the Ubuntu base for some reason. It's more work than the usual build, since they have to do much of the work they get out of the box with Ubuntu themselves. Really the only difference is that Debian doesn't let you add APT sources, so some obscure software may be hard to get
Seph
I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

With Cinnamon Mint 21 I had problems with it falling back into safe mode, LMDE 6 no problems. One Critique, Kernal 6.1, Really.? Update already. I'm hoping it will be incredible because it will make a great daily driver. It has everything I need and very little I don't need and it's quick to set up and get things done. It gets out of your way, and I like that in an OS.
OffnOnAgain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OffnOnAgain »

Would LMDE with kernal 6 be better for new hardware like a 7800xt gpu? has anyone used it using this gpu, and what where your expreiences?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

OffnOnAgain wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:03 am Would LMDE with kernal 6 be better for new hardware like a 7800xt gpu?
Not really. LMDE has an older graphics stack (xorg and Mesa) than what is available with LM21 versions. 6 series kernels are available in both LMDE and LM21 so the kernel is not so much the issue as is the rest of the graphics stack.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
ButchPetty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ButchPetty »

Moem wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:21 am Here comes the lightly informed opinion from someone who's not using it, so add salt to taste:
It's not. It's another option (equally good as far as I know) and some people strongly dislike Ubuntu, so they prefer an option that's not Ubuntu-based, as you mentioned. I'm not aware of any other common reason.
There is a reason why most people use Main Edition Mint: because it's good, and more known and so it's more supported. But LMDE is great too. Any Mint is great.
With all due respect your dead wrong. This, "opinion from someone who's not using it", should have stopped you from commenting.
The difference is massive. As a person that does use LMDE6 and LMDE5, etc., the biggest positive with LMDE is stability. That manifest itself by the very, VERY, low rate of UPDATES. That equals STABILITY, witch equals better performance.
I also used the Ubuntu version for years. I won't go into the reason I hate Ubuntu, it will not help here, I just want to say how absolutely beautiful it is to almost not even noticing that I haven't had to update my system in a while. Sometimes its days and even weeks. That alone should speak volumes about the difference in Debian (LMDE) and Ubuntu (unstable Debian version) of Mint. Simple as that.
LMDE 6, "Faye"
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ButchPetty wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:23 am As a person that does use LMDE6 and LMDE5, etc., the biggest positive with LMDE is stability. That manifest itself by the very, VERY, low rate of UPDATES. That equals STABILITY, witch equals better performance.
Well, it seems that we disagree on what 'stability' means. And also on what 'better performance' means.

In my view, stability and frequent updates can go hand in hand. What stability means to me is predictability, reliability and robustness, and a lack of crashes and errors.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

This is from someone who uses both:
Experience (stability included) right now is the same.

Though they do not affect me personally, LMDE still has some disadvantages (kernel management, graphics drivers, availability of some proprietary stuff and few other things) in comparison to Mint main. For certain workflows and types of hardware these disadvantages can be serious.

With a basic system setup (without third-party repos, flatpaks etc) even frequency of updates is not that different.
Ubuntu kernel updates are more frequent but everything else is not noticeably different. And it makes sense. Bulk of updates concerns security patches and Debian and Ubuntu teams cooperate closely in this area.

When you rely on software/updates not available in distro repos, you may end actually with a lot more sizeable and lot more frequent updates when you have to replace Ubuntu-styled PPAs with flatpaks on Mint Debian.

Note on stability: I find Debian Stable more stable than Ubuntu LTS usually only around the time of their initial release. Debian Stable does receive a lot more testing before every release. However after a while problems in Ubuntu LTS are sorted out. Around this time last Ubuntu LTS is solid. Many bugs in Ubuntu have to do with desktop configuration and those are absent in Mint right from the start.
ariearia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ariearia »

As a very very ordinary & heavy user of Linux I am very happy with LM 21.2 Cinnamon (HP Envy 17″ laptop) and LMDE 6 (and before LMDE 5) on a Mac Pro 6,1 (4-core, 64Gb, Aura SSD, triple 24″-display). Been using LM for four years now, and LMDE for about two years and both perform very well. I started (in the Middle Ages) with Windows 2,1, switched to OSX in 2000 and had that as my Daily Driver untill 2019. Then the Apple ecosystem started to feel very uncomfortable: privacy issues, Apple Store issues, problems with upgrading/updating iphoto and all the musicapp-flavors, the constant push to update hardware etc. I don’t like being pushed around. Started to experiment with Ubuntu, Elementary and MX and stopped at Mint. 32b on a mac pro 1,1, switched to 64b on a mac pro 3,1 (triple display was no problem OOTB) and finally a mac pro 6,1 and a HP Envy laptop. Same apps on both Mint flavors, no discernable differences. No need for Wayland also (yet). For me LM was a 'next step' in evolution. At the moment I have the best of a lot of worlds: Debian, Mint && cheap hardware. The only problem I encountered with LMDE 6 was a failing VPN-connection with IPVanish. As this very ordinary user I am not interested in flame wars about Ubuntu; I was looking for a solid replacement of OSX and I found two! The LMDE team does a great job. No man in the middle needed!

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”