(Solved) LMDE 6 - installing fonts - new problem in "6"

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ButchPetty
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) LMDE 6 - installing fonts - new problem in "6"

Post by ButchPetty »

Four days into the new LMDE 6 and this is my first issue. I went to install some fonts and in LMDE 5 all i had to do is double click the font file and a window would pop up with button to install. Not the same in LMDE 6. Now I get a pop up window when I try to open a .ttf or .otf file (font files) that tells me "no known program associated with it". Does anyone know a simple fix, please? Thx.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LMDE 6, "Faye"
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE 6 - installing fonts - new problem in "6"

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE 5 had GNOME Font Viewer installed by default. LMDE 6 dropped it as a default app but you can still install it if you want:
apt install gnome-font-viewer

Mind that it's not really needed. Installing a new font simply copies the ttf/otf file to your .local/share/fonts/ directory. You can also do this manually. In your file manager press Ctrl+H to toggle showing hidden files (or do so through the View menu) to see the .local directory in your home directory. You can also put them in your .fonts directory, either place location works but .local/share/fonts is the default the Font Viewer used.
ButchPetty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ButchPetty »

Man your a life saver. There is nothing like waking up on a Sunday with all kinds of artsy feelings and then be kicked off your pedestal. You seem to loose all that pent up imagination real quick. :lol:
Have a great Sunday!
LMDE 6, "Faye"
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
tadaensylvermane
Level 2
Level 2

Re: (Solved) LMDE 6 - installing fonts - new problem in "6"

Post by tadaensylvermane »

Very good. Thank you as well. I had to add a couple fonts the other day and ended up making the ~/.fonts directory manually. Worked... but rather the simple double click.
rsnunez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rsnunez »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:53 am LMDE 5 had GNOME Font Viewer installed by default. LMDE 6 dropped it as a default app but you can still install it if you want:
apt install gnome-font-viewer

Mind that it's not really needed. Installing a new font simply copies the ttf/otf file to your .local/share/fonts/ directory. You can also do this manually. In your file manager press Ctrl+H to toggle showing hidden files (or do so through the View menu) to see the .local directory in your home directory. You can also put them in your .fonts directory, either place location works but .local/share/fonts is the default the Font Viewer used.
No, it is really necessary... thank you, I was about to kill my dream switch from Windows into Mint Faye because of this issue...
rsnunez
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (Solved) LMDE 6 - installing fonts - new problem in "6"

Post by rsnunez »

Just in case somebody is having this issue, this video was far better and easier for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkKKnAlUXUk

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”