VMware

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

VMware

Post by borgward »

Which VMware to install. mint 21.2 Cinnamon
I am trying the Linux Foundation Introduction to Linux - Full course for Beginners which uses VMware Workstation 14 Player

Looked in Software manager where I saw many but not sure which one to use.
UncleBens
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VMware

Post by UncleBens »

I don‘t think you can install VMWare Player via Software Manager (if I‘m mistaken feel free to correct me).
This is how I installed VMWare Workstation on my machine:

https://linuxiac.com/how-to-install-vmw ... x-mint-21/
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

So those VM's in the software manager are not the equivalent of VMware Workstation 14 Player. At least I know that. Good to know.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

borgward wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:06 pm So those VM's in the software manager are not the equivalent of VMware Workstation 14 Player. At least I know that. Good to know.
I am not sure if they are the exact "equivalent" but they are reliable and work well. I prefer Virtual Machine Manager (virt-manager). I have not used VMware in several years but I think there is a free version called VirtualBox but the VMware Workstaion requires a non-free license - like I said I'm not up to date on VMware so this may all have changed.

Anyway virt-manager is much better and it is in the repositories and easy to use. You can get from the software manager or Synaptic and from the terminal

Code: Select all

sudo apt install -y virt-manager

Here is a good explanation of both virt-manager (KVM) vs virtualbox - and since you are new to VMs you might as well learn the one that is better.
https://blog.purestorage.com/purely-inf ... d-you-use/
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

borgward wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:56 pm Which VMware to install. mint 21.2 Cinnamon
I am trying the Linux Foundation Introduction to Linux - Full course for Beginners which uses VMware Workstation 14 Player

Looked in Software manager where I saw many but not sure which one to use.
Just a word of caution when you talk about VM’s on Mint. I know of at least four virtual machines (VM) that run on Linux Mint. I have used each of these at one time or another on the Cinnamon Desktop.

1. VirtualBox (Product of Oracle) – Can be installed via the Mint System Manager or from virtualbox.org.

2. VMware Workstation Player (Product of VMware) – Download from vmware.com.

3. Gnome Boxes – Can be installed via the Mint System Manager.

4. KVM - Kernel-based Virtual Machine is a free and open-source virtualization module in the Linux kernel that allows the kernel to function as a hypervisor. Can be installed via the Mint System Manager (as mentioned by majpooper above) look for ‘Virt-manager’.

There may be other options for VM!

Hope that helps!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Thanks everybody. I decided against any VM ware. Instead I installed the OS on an extra laptop. No harm if I mess anything up.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

borgward wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:05 pm Thanks everybody. I decided against any VM ware. Instead I installed the OS on an extra laptop. No harm if I mess anything up.
That IMHO is an excellent solution ! plenty of time to play with VMs later but if you goal is to learn linux and you have a spare system you can use and not care if you jack it up . . . . yeah, great way to go.

Return to “Virtual Machines”