Step to Step guide for GPU passthrough?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xXVampShawtyXx
Level 1
Level 1

Step to Step guide for GPU passthrough?

Post by xXVampShawtyXx »

Hi, I want to do GPU passthrough in a virtual machine, but I don't know where to start. Is there anyone who can explain to me the steps of doing it, and yes I have two gpus, an igpu and a discrete gpu. I also know that my cpu supports virtualization, so those steps i think are already finished. Is there any sort of specific virtualization software I need to use, like I love using GNOME Boxes, because of it's simplicity, was wondering how to do it on any ubuntu based distrubution. Also I want to know the steps of undoing the GPU passthrough when I want to use the GPU for my host system.
SayWhat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Step to Step guide for GPU passthrough?

Post by SayWhat »

I found this blog site very helpful when I was doing the same thing:

https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/

And the author is here, though at what frequency lately I don't know; bad stuff is happening in his country at the moment.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the last question, how to use the gpu in host system sometimes; it seems to me that would be very similar to the techniques used for single gpu passthrough. I personally have all 3 monitors on a workstation gpu (lots of identical outputs, not much 3d going on) and my gaming gpu sits idle until I spin up that vm and switch the input on my front-and-center monitor.

Note: if you capture your input devices (I use keyboard, mouse and game pad for gpu/gaming, and 2 of those require windows software so have to be run under a win vm), you'll need a second each keyboard and mouse for when you want to talk to the host system.
SayWhat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Step to Step guide for GPU passthrough?

Post by SayWhat »

FWIW, when I hadn't yet decided what path to take getting gpu passthrough running (I went the easy way with 2 gpus), I found this link the most understandable regarding how to do single gpu:

https://github.com/bryansteiner/gpu-pas ... h-tutorial

If you really, really want to use your best gpu on the host sometimes, I think you'll have to do things the way mr steiner describes.

Return to “Virtual Machines”