Change "Notification Area" Applet's minimum icon size, the correct way?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
qr_unit
Level 1
Level 1

Change "Notification Area" Applet's minimum icon size, the correct way?

Post by qr_unit »

So, I'm sort of a perfectionist when it comes to decorating my desktop. The thing is that: Most of the MATE's applets in Mint suits my needs, but only Notification Area isn't. The "minimum icon size" doesn't operate the way I want it to be.

This is when the size is 20:

...and when it's 19:

Are there any ways to resize the icons while the size in settings is still 20? CSS or anything, I don't mind at all. :D
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Change "Notification Area" Applet's minimum icon size, the correct way?

Post by billyswong »

You mean you want the icons placed in 2 rows without shrinking the icon size to 19? How about widening the panel size?
qr_unit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qr_unit »

billyswong wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:22 am You mean you want the icons placed in 2 rows without shrinking the icon size to 19? How about widening the panel size?
Hmm, nope. I want them to be in 1 row and have the size equally to the XApp system tray's. The panel size is 38 as of now, and you can notice how the first picture has the icons being big.

I edited the second picture in GIMP, in case if you don't understand what I mean. :arrow:
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Sadly, just like the xapp tray is hardcoded to be always one row ("why would anyone want more than 1 row"), the legacy tray is also hardcoded to fill up the panel in as much row as possible ("why would anyone don't want multi-row"). I wish both of them fix their limited thinking and let us have choices :?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues/1327

Here suggest that a future release of MATE desktop shall allow notification area icon spacing setting done in gtk.css. No idea if it can affect the number of rows of tray icons though.

Return to “MATE”