Hello from North East UK

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
banger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello from North East UK

Post by banger »

Hi everyone. I am Tim with my German Shepherd Dalton. I have 3 working machines (and loads of old ones in the loft). Currently I am running Win 11 latest and Win 10 in dual boot on my main machine a 9th Gen Intel i5. My HP laptop also 9th gen i5 is running Win 11 Pro. My other machine a Dual Pentium E2180 is running Win 10 32 bit, Win 10 64 bit and Mint 21.2 64 bit in multi boot fashion on a Sata SSD.

I moved from Win 10 on the Dual Pentium to mint because my printer Deskjet 710C doesn't work on parallel port with Win 10 64 bit although video drivers for the Nvidia GT710 are recent. The 32 bit flavour of Win 10 has printer drivers and prints but video drivers are from 2018 and I keep getting black screens when doing anything that is CPU intensive.

This is where Mint comes in, it has drivers for my printer, video drivers are recent, and so far it hasn't stalled or black screened. I have always used Windows PCs and using Mint was a bit of a learning curve (installed 3 times). But it has given a 2008 build machine new life and I am impressed.

Where does one report bugs in Mint? Tonight I was running out of space on Mint so wanted to create a new partition after shrinking windows partitions in windows for Snapshots. I used the disk app but when I tried to create a 19gb partition it would end up as 1mb. Tried several times. So I downloaded gparted and was able to create the partition successfully.

Anyway sorry for long post, nice to see a community around Mint.
Linux Mint Cinnamon on 2008 machine, CPU: Intel Dual Pentium E2180, 4gb Dual channel crucial DDR ram, apacer 120gb ssd, foxconn 946 ma motherboard.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Hello from North East UK

Post by kc1di »

Hello banger,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum, enjoy the journey! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

banger wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:15 pmWhere does one report bugs in Mint? Tonight I was running out of space on Mint so wanted to create a new partition after shrinking windows partitions in windows for Snapshots. I used the disk app but when I tried to create a 19gb partition it would end up as 1mb. Tried several times. So I downloaded gparted and was able to create the partition successfully.
First off, the "Disks" program is actually taken from the GNOME desktop environment, hence its package name of "gnome-disks-utility" and so it might be best to first test and see if various other newer GNOME-based distributions have the exact same issue. If they do, then it's probably not the fault of mint and should be reported directly to the corresponding git issue tracker for gnome-disks-utility (wherever that may be...)

Though the very first things that you might want to try is just see if the issue happens in the non-beta version of Mint 21.3 (which should be releasing any day now EDIT: 21.3 non-beta is now available) because, if it doesn't, then that alone may be evidence that the bug has already been resolved at some point.

(if you don't already know, Ventoy is a great easy way to load up on a bunch of different Linux ISOs for easy testing)
Last edited by NM64 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
GPU: Intel integrated HD Graphics P4600
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengence @ DDR3-1600
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi banger,
Welcome to our Forum.
:)

it's always great to have another user onboard.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”