Future upgrades

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
jayr69
Level 3
Level 3

Future upgrades

Post by jayr69 »

Hello.
I would like to first thank you for providing such a wonderfull operating system to us.
I have one computer that still runs windows because of my games and the rest of them i have Linux Mint installed on all of them.
Here is my suggestions to you.
When i first installed Linux Mint 21 in my computers, i was then able to jump from the version 21 to the version 21.1 after 6 months and then to jump from the version 21.1 to the version 21.2 directly using the update manager.
That was so easy and so simple to accomplish.
I would suggest that you do the same thing when comes the time to swith to a new main version.
When the time comes, it would be so wonderfull to be able to jump from the version 21.3 to the new main version 22 directly using the update manager without having to do alot of operations and that would allow us to keep all of the installed programs and to keep all of the files intact.
It would be wonderfull to just click on a button that says UPGRADE TO VERSION 22 and that everything is automatic afterwords.
I know that on the Linux Mint site you do explain how to jump to a new main version but i was never able to succeed doing it.
I end up making a clean install and using the restore option to reinstall my programs.
Thanks for concidering my suggestion and keep on the good work, your os is the best.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Future upgrades

Post by xenopeek »

System Reports lets you know when there is a new major release. If you added repositories or packages from outside the official repositories to your system there would be more for you to do but otherwise mintupgrade is mostly clicking the "let's go button" and then clicking next a few times.

Whether the major release upgrade software is integrated into Update Manager or, as now, is in the separate mintupgrade tool it would do the same thing. It wouldn't change how it works because how it works is how it must work. It checks and prepares as much as possible to ensure the upgrade goes well, to catch known situation that can cause problems before doing the actual upgrade.

With each release the team has been improving the tool. It was reworked for the 20.3 to 21 upgrade, refined further for LMDE 5 to 6 upgrade and since has seen more improvements and likely will see more for the 22 release.
jayr69
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Future upgrades

Post by jayr69 »

Ok thanks, i can't wait to try it again next summer.
Have a good day and thanks again

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”