Linux irony, non-geeks more likely to go Windows-free

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gravelbay

Re: Linux irony, non-geeks more likely to go Windows-free

Post by gravelbay »

A long time linux guru friend of mine recently told me:
Macs are for people who don't want to know why their computers work.
Linux is for people who do want to know why their computers work.
DOS is for those who want to know why their computers don't work.
Windows is for people who don't want to know why their computers don't work.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Windows is a tool.

Linux is...fun! :D
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I went without a computer for several years. I had an old machine with Windows ME installed, but I sold it before XP started shipping. I didn't actually own another system until I bought my laptop last August, it came with Ubuntu 9.04 preinstalled. I had a little bit of XP experience from using it at work, but mostly I preferred to screw around with various distros on and off whenever I had the chance. I lived with a guy who dual booted XP and Ubuntu 8.04 and I genuinely though it odd that he chose the XP partition to boot into most of the time as I always found Ubuntu a lot easier to work with and a lot easier to navigate. To this day I've never booted any computer into either Windows Vista or Windows 7.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I found Linux to be intuitive and easy to work with. Just as the title of the thread suggests, I have very little Windows experience and am generally pretty lost when I have to work with it but I do rather well about getting in and out of Linux systems.
Hammerlee

Post by Hammerlee »

I installed Linux Mint because the OS on the second hand computer was absolutely shot to pieces and it would have cost me as much for a copy of windows as it did for my pc. My family in general use the computer to email and surf web, so half the rubbish on windows is never used anyway. So the transition from windows to Linux was very easy. My daughter and my son being young have picked up Linux very quickly, they just see the computer as the 'pooter'. My daughter still has xp on her laptop, but if she wants to use the internet she will use my desktop because it does not take 10 minutes to boot up. My children both use computers as part of their schooling and so of course know a great deal more than me, I have heard them both bragging to their friends about Mint and how much faster than their new computer my old boiler is.
tower

Post by tower »

Geeks have invested a lot of time and effort gaining their skills and I guess pride could be a big barrier.

Imagine you are the one everyone goes to when they have a Windows problem - then you start on Linux and have to ask others the baby slope kind of questions.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

My ISP has recently gone into some kind of partnership with Microsoft whereby they will "migrate all existing email accounts to a Windows Live platform" (Screenshot). I am curious as to what this implies (to me as a Linux user), especially in the matter of privacy. I had asked this question of them but all they could assure me of, was on the matter of being able to log-in to the free email identity provided by them if i could access my hotmail account? I am required to have a Windows Live ID for this. Do i have any legal grounds to object to this?
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Return to “Chat about Linux”