Wow 6.5 kernel just showed up

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Wow 6.5 kernel just showed up

Post by MurphCID »

I am on the Lemur Pro which has been using the 5.15 kernel, and suddenly not 2 minutes ago the 6.5 kernel showed up and installed on my computer. How interesting. So now I get to see how the 6.5 does for power usage on the Lemur which is my best machine for battery life. Also I will now update all my other laptops (except the Galago) for the 6.5 kernel.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Wow 6.5 kernel just showed up

Post by MurphCID »

So far, battery life looks to be improved a bit. This is nice.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

I installed 6.5.0-14-generic about 3 days ago on a desktop. So far, all has been good.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Installing it on the HP Dev One now, so we shall see how well it does, I have been running the OEM kernel on that particular device. Small glitch, it does not want to let go of the 6.5 OEM kernel, so I am going to re-install Mint.

Edit did the re-installation, copying files right now, seems great on the HP.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:15 am I am on the Lemur Pro which has been using the 5.15 kernel, and suddenly not 2 minutes ago the 6.5 kernel showed up and installed on my computer. How interesting.
It's more than interesting because unless you have HWE packages installed, the 6.5 kernel should not be showing up and installing automatically on your computer.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Nope just the regular Mint. Not offended at all. Sort of happy it did it since now I can test it. It showed as a regular update, so I installed it, it did not just install without prompting. It was there with all the other updates.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:57 pmIt showed as a regular update, so I installed it, it did not just install without prompting. It was there with all the other updates.
It's not a "regular update". It's only available as an update if one has HWE packages installed on their computer. The 6.5 kernel is an HWE kernel.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

SMG wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:04 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:57 pmIt showed as a regular update, so I installed it, it did not just install without prompting. It was there with all the other updates.
It's not a "regular update". It's only available as an update if one has HWE packages installed on their computer. The 6.5 kernel is an HWE kernel.
Nope, I just have regular bog standard Mint installed, and it appeared, and I went ahead and installed it. I do not have the HWE on any of the laptops.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:07 pmNope, I just have regular bog standard Mint installed, and it appeared, and I went ahead and installed it. I do not have the HWE on any of the laptops.
Where in Update Manager did it appear? Did you have to go into View > Linux Kernels to see it appear?

If so, that is different than having it appear in your list of regular updates (which should not happen if you did a fresh install of Linux Mint non-Edge version).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

No, I saw I had updates, so I clicked, it showed up as a regular kernel update, and so I installed it. Now on the HP Dev One, it did not show up until I went into Linux kernels. The HP was just a clean installation on a NON HWE kernel, I do not know why it showed on the Lemur earlier.

On the Lemur Pro, it just showed up as a regular update, and the Lemur had been running the 5.15 kernel.

Now I am not complaining at all, I rather like it, it seems to give me a bit of better battery life.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:19 pmNow I am not complaining at all, I rather like it, it seems to give me a bit of better battery life.
You run very new hardware (even your "old" hardware is much newer than what most people have) so I am not asking because I think you might have a problem.

I am asking these questions because I'm trying to determine if there is going to be an avalanche of problems on the forum upcoming. Those running 5.15 LTS kernels should not be getting automatic upgrades to 6.5 unless there is some kind of packaging problem happening. That is why I am asking.

If one installs and then removes an HWE kernel, they will still have the following packages on their computer which would cause HWE kernels to be offered:
• linux-generic-hwe-22.04-edge
• linux-headers-generic-hwe-22.04-edge
• linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04-edge
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Nope, I never installed any hwe kernels on the lemur pro. I am as confused as you are.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

For whatever it is worth, I found 6.5 under Update Manager,View,Linux Kernels. However, I did have 6.2 already installed. I do not recalling installing the HWE stuff.

I just did a refresh on Update Manager and now I am offered a update to 6.5.0.14.14~22.04.7
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Lou77 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:11 pm For whatever it is worth, I found 6.5 under Update Manager,View,Linux Kernels. However, I did have 6.2 already installed. I do not recalling installing the HWE stuff.
The HWE stuff gets automatically installed once you manually install an HWE kernel such as 6.2.

One does not have to manually install it, but one does have to manually remove it in addition to the HWE kernels if one no longer wants updates for HWE kernels. Something was changed between Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04 in that respect. I'm not sure why or what the issue is.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

SMG wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:18 pm
Lou77 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:11 pm For whatever it is worth, I found 6.5 under Update Manager,View,Linux Kernels. However, I did have 6.2 already installed. I do not recalling installing the HWE stuff.
The HWE stuff gets automatically installed once you manually install an HWE kernel such as 6.2.

One does not have to manually install it, but one does have to manually remove it in addition to the HWE kernels if one no longer wants updates for HWE kernels. Something was changed between Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04 in that respect. I'm not sure why or what the issue is.
I did not know that HWE was a part of 6.2, appreciate the information. It does seem to me that my dual monitors on IGPU are recognised much quicker on 6.5, even 6.2 was an improvement over the default kernel install for me.

edit: looking back on my installs, I do see where it was an HWE kernel that I had previously installed. Not sure why I did not recognise that before hand.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks, I went back and looked last night, and after looking at my notes I took, it was the 5.15 kernel, but there was a four hour time difference between computer installations. The HP had an Oem kernel, and I did a complete clean install, and the 6.5 was not automatically installed on that laptop. So I have no idea what happened.

But it works great though!
glitchathon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by glitchathon »

I have a 13th Gen Intel system, and awhile back, I had to install the 6.1 oem kernel. Been working fine, but I'm just curious why Linux Mint skipped 6.1 and went straight to 6.2 and now 6.5? Especially since 6.1 will be supported longer than any of the other 6.x kernels. Curious if there is any reason to stick with Mint's officially available kernels?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

glitchathon wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:11 am I have a 13th Gen Intel system, and awhile back, I had to install the 6.1 oem kernel. Been working fine, but I'm just curious why Linux Mint skipped 6.1 and went straight to 6.2 and now 6.5? Especially since 6.1 will be supported longer than any of the other 6.x kernels. Curious if there is any reason to stick with Mint's officially available kernels?
Nothing was "skipped".

OEM Kernels are slightly different from LTS (long-term-support) and HWE (HardWare Enablement) kernels. The current LTS kernel is 5.15. The HWE kernels were 5.19, 6.2, and now 6.5 is available. Only LTS and HWE kernels become available automatically in Update Manager.

At the time you installed the 6.1-oem kernel that was likely the newest kernel available in the Ubuntu repositories and that would be why it was recommended for use. Since then, newer kernels have become available including a 6.5-oem kernel.

HWE kernels are made available so those with newer equipment get the drivers and support they need which might be missing in the LTS kernel.
glitchathon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by glitchathon »

SMG wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:07 pm Nothing was "skipped".

OEM Kernels are slightly different from LTS (long-term-support) and HWE (HardWare Enablement) kernels. The current LTS kernel is 5.15. The HWE kernels were 5.19, 6.2, and now 6.5 is available. Only LTS and HWE kernels become available automatically in Update Manager.

At the time you installed the 6.1-oem kernel that was likely the newest kernel available in the Ubuntu repositories and that would be why it was recommended for use. Since then, newer kernels have become available including a 6.5-oem kernel.

HWE kernels are made available so those with newer equipment get the drivers and support they need which might be missing in the LTS kernel.
Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation! Then I take it there is no reason to switch from 6.1 to 6.5, unless something isn't working? It seems like 6.1 is still supported for awhile.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

glitchathon wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:30 pmThen I take it there is no reason to switch from 6.1 to 6.5, unless something isn't working? It seems like 6.1 is still supported for awhile.
As long as it is working for you and it is receiving updates, you can continue using it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”