XKB error with Oracle VM VirtualBox.

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Studiohead
Level 3
Level 3

XKB error with Oracle VM VirtualBox.

Post by Studiohead »

I have Mint 21.2 installed on a Dell Optiplex desktop.

I installed Oracle VM VirtualBox 7.0.

I uploaded the ios images of Ubuntu Studio 22.04.3 LTS and Mint 21.2 to VirtualBox and they worked w/o difficulty.

I decided to install Ubuntu Studio onto the VirtualBox Hard disk 25Gb (/dev/sda). I started Ubuntu Studio and it worked at first but then it crashed. The host op system had also crashed so I crashed the pc. On rebooting a message said error activating ‘XKB configuration’ with this error report: -

Code: Select all

Error activating XKB configuration.
"There can be various reasons for that.
"
"If you report this situation as a bug, include the results of
" xprop -root | grep XKB
" gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard model
" gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard layouts
" gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard options"

The host op system pc filesystem had almost no space and messages kept popping up saying the host os hard disk was almost full. Prior to this experiment there had been over 100gb of free space.

I did a Timeshift system restore - it didn’t work

I found this Mint Forums thread

viewtopic.php?t=353128

Which stated that the only fix was a fresh installation of the op system. My error seemed to be identical so I did a fresh installation of Mint

I discovered this Manjaro thread afterwards which suggests that the XKB error is something to do with keyboard settings.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/error-activ ... -8-6/71732

The thread states that: ‘running the following command does fix the issue whenever it happens’.

setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout us,es -option grp:win_space_toggle

I’m now wary of using VirtualBox. I assume that the KB in XKB stands for keyboard. It seems likely to me that keyboard compatibility issues could arise when using a virtual machine because the keyboard settings of the virtual os might be different to those of the host os.

If the problem can be fixed by the above command then I’d be happy to install and use VirtualBox again.

Has anyone tried to use that command to fix this problem?
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: XKB error with Oracle VM VirtualBox.

Post by Reddog1 »

The host op system pc filesystem had almost no space and messages kept popping up saying the host os hard disk was almost full
That's the problem. You need at least 5% free space on your HD (maybe more) for system operation. Virtual machines can get you into trouble because the space used is usually set so that it is dynamic. A 25GB virtual hd may use only 12 GB of space on the host after install, but you can install programs and save files until you use more than 20GB of the 'real' drive. And, if you take snapshots, the snapshots will use just as much space on the host hd as the VM uses.

I did this (once) myself.

Now that I understand this, I'm a lot more careful with how much space on the host hd I'm taking up with my VM's, and I'm much more frugal with taking snapshots.

Return to “Virtual Machines”