Keyboar Layout Issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caseylinux

Keyboar Layout Issue

Post by caseylinux »

I'm having issue with my keyboard layout. I've read others that have to do with nationality, but mine is a little weirder, as the two layouts don't seem different except one allows my right alt to work and the other doesn't. When I log in and check the keyboard layout it's at "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC" with both Ireland and USA options in the Layout box
Keylay1.png
. When I click "Reset to Defaults" the "Ireland" disappears (though if I had simply selected USA instead of clicking "Reset to Defaults" the right alt wouldn't have worked... I've tried it).
keylay2.png
. I click "Apply System-Wide" enter my password and I'm good to go for that entire session. When I check back to see what the keyboard layout says, while the default layout is in place and my right alt key is working, it looks like this
keylay3.png
. The next time I log in, though, the same problem persists. In order to get my right alt key back I have to go through the process of clicking "Reset to Defaults".

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Keyboar Layout Issue

Post by remoulder »

Searching the forums is recommended, see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nd#p227025
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
caseylinux

Re: Keyboar Layout Issue [SOLVED]

Post by caseylinux »

I did search the forums before I posted this question. I didn't, however, find the discussion you linked to. Thank you for taking the time to post that, it helped solve the problem. I used this:
gconftool-2 --type list --list-type string --set /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd/layouts [us]
and it stuck. Now even logging in and out it stays on US and my right alt key works! :D
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Keyboar Layout Issue

Post by remoulder »

Glad you got it working :)
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Hardware Support”