Please suggest some good Cinnamon GTK themes

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mudassir
Level 3
Level 3

Please suggest some good Cinnamon GTK themes

Post by mudassir »

Hi, I'm new to Linux... installed LM few days back and like it too much. Hope to replace Win with LM soon as I learned to do most of my work with this wonderful OS and above all I love the community.. found you guys so helpful.

Please suggest me some good themes. Downloaded a few and experience many of them only covers desktop and lacks application section (GTK I think what it's said, please correct me here). I want some great themes which covers both desktop and applications please.

Also please guide me on the section of cinnamon.css that covers transparency of panel and if I can apply shadow to clock desklet (without border and background). Thank you.
Please SHARE Knowledge.. Let's not FLAUNT it...
FUN := 'Linux Mint 21 Vanessa Cinnamon' + 'Php, Apache, MySQL Server' + 'Lazarus' + 'Gambas';
const Lazarus : Pascal; const Gambas As BASIC
scoson
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Please suggest some good Cinnamon GTK themes

Post by scoson »

Gradient-blue.. This is one of the most tasteful themes I've seen, I use it quite a bit. It's a little skeumorphic, but it's quite neutral..

This is the link for the theme, I only use the gtk from it. The alternate Cinnamon theme in the next link is a better match..
https://www.pling.com/p/1185760/

This is the Cinnamon theme I would use with it..
https://www.opendesktop.org/p/2038574
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

mudassir wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:19 pm
i use this https://www.pling.com/p/1273208/

Enjoy your mint 🍻
Bleys
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bleys »

mudassir wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:19 pm Also please guide me on the section of cinnamon.css that covers transparency of panel and if I can apply shadow to clock desklet (without border and background). Thank you.
Copy the desired theme from /usr/share/themes to ~/.themes and rename it. If the .themes directory does not exist in the home directory: Create it. Example with my theme:
cp -r /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Aqua ~/.themes/Mint-Y-Darkness-Aqua
Open cinnamon.css (~/.themes/Mint-Y-Darkness-Aqua/cinnamon/connamon.css).
Search for "panel-bottom" in the file. adjust background-color. My version:

Code: Select all

.panel-top, .panel-bottom, .panel-left, .panel-right {
color: #ffffff;
border: none;
background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.16);
font-size: 1em;
padding: 0px; }
the last rgba specification (0.16) controls the transparency. The first 3 the color. Black (0.0.0) for me.
Of course, this also works with any other Cinnamon theme.

Last edited by Bleys on Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB RAM, 2TB M.2 Crucial P3, Asrock Deskmeet X300, Samsung Odyssey 49", Linux Mint 21
mudassir
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mudassir »

Thanks for those great looking theme suggestions.

@Bleys: Your desktop looks awesome with transparent panel and conky. Will definitely play with panel's rgba for different themes. Thanks a lot.
FUN := 'Linux Mint 21 Vanessa Cinnamon' + 'Php, Apache, MySQL Server' + 'Lazarus' + 'Gambas';
mudassir
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mudassir »

Bleys wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:04 am Search for "panel-bottom" in the file. adjust background-color.
Thanks a lot :) I love the transparency effect on panel.. looks much better now:

Edited the Menu and Favorites background-color too with transparency and border-radius for Mint-Y-Dark:

But can't find these sections in Adapta-Nokto theme :(
mudassir
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mudassir »

I love Adapta Nokto and Mint-Y but prefer compact Title-bar.

Please suggest some compact dark themes... the title-bar and status-bar is so huge on Adapta Nokto and Mint-Y.
Hope a lot of people use compact dark themes... please share what's your choice. Thank you!

Or maybe some css tricks to reduce title-bar height?
JoanTheSpark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JoanTheSpark »

title bar settings are in gtk.css under 'headerbar' - I set the height of mine to 23px.
But you will probably need to adjust a lot of the other spaces (mostly padding and margin) as well for all sorts of things to make the look match.
To match the desktop to this you will need to look into cinnamon.css and adjust 'menu-background' & co and '#panel' stuff.
mudassir
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mudassir »

JoanTheSpark wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:32 am title bar settings are in gtk.css under 'headerbar' - I set the height of mine to 23px.
But you will probably need to adjust a lot of the other spaces (mostly padding and margin) as well for all sorts of things to make the look match.
To match the desktop to this you will need to look into cinnamon.css and adjust 'menu-background' & co and '#panel' stuff.
Sounds like a good place to dig.. will check and post update. thanks for the great advice.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”