Suggestion: Cleanup utility for Linux Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
beng
Level 1
Level 1

Suggestion: Cleanup utility for Linux Mint

Post by beng »

Hi, would like to make a suggestion to have a cleanup utility for Linux Mint to free up disk space, similar to the one that ships with MX Linux (MX Cleanup). Could possibly start with the MX one and modify it to suit Mint. Since MX is based on Debian, it will probably be quite similar. You can see what it does and a screenshot of the user interface at the github page:
https://github.com/MX-Linux/mx-cleanup

The utility would do things like delete old log files, empty the trash, clean thumbnails and cache of old, non-essential files, clear APT cache of old files, have an option to remove old kernels, etc.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Suggestion: Cleanup utility for Linux Mint

Post by Pjotr »

That's a tricky one.... The problem with cleaning apps is that they might remove more than what's good for your system. Ubuntu once shipped with such a thing (can't recall its name), but it was later removed from the default installation because of wrecking ball behaviour. :?

This is a way to clean safely:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Suggestion: Cleanup utility for Linux Mint

Post by SMG »

beng wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:59 amhave an option to remove old kernels, etc.
Update Manager already has this option. Edit > Preferences > Automation and enable 'Remove obsolete kernels and dependencies'.

Additionally, all log files are not kept forever. I don't know the specifics of all the logs, but I know crash reports are removed on a weekly basis (because I've seen them disappear when I went looking for older ones :mrgreen: ).
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”