permanent fix of weather function on time display on panel

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

permanent fix of weather function on time display on panel

Post by wpshooter »

It would be nice if on upcoming 21.3 that a fix would be included for the on again, off again functioning
of the weather info portion of the time and date display on the panel.

And no, I don't know how to report this other than here, way above my pay grade !!!

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: permanent fix of weather function on time display on panel

Post by billyswong »

I may be able to help reporting your issue to the devs if you can clarify what exact bug you are facing.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

billyswong wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:04 pm I may be able to help reporting your issue to the devs if you can clarify what exact bug you are facing.
At various times the weather portion of the info which is displayed on the time and date stamp function
on the panel is not shown. My understand that this is cause by problem in the programming which is
caused by subsequent changes to the code (overwriting) that controls this functioning, in that, program needs to refer
to a point/source (like a variable) instead of a fixed parameter. This problem can be fixed by running a terminal command
to correct the problem but it reoccurs again on the next programming change.

See this post:

viewtopic.php?p=2386372#p2386372

Hmmmmmm, perhaps they are already trying to fix it for 21.3. I had it reoccur the other day on my 21.2 installation, after I had ran the terminal command to fix it the previous time it had happened.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

wpshooter wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:06 pmHmmmmmm, perhaps they are already trying to fix it for 21.3. I had it reoccur the other day on my 21.2 installation, after I had ran the terminal command to fix it the previous time it had happened.
Linux Mint does not write the MATE desktop. It is a different development team which codes it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

wpshooter wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:06 pm See this post:

viewtopic.php?p=2386372#p2386372
That thread is about a legacy design deficiency, with 3rd party data source URL hardcoded in library, troublesome for adaptation when change in the 3rd party server occurs.

Quick fix is always possible, meanwhile proper update is mostly a problem of Ubuntu/Canonical. They still haven't backported the bug fix to 20.04 LTS and 22.04 LTS. "Permanent" solution is subjected to more difficult code refactoring however.

I have filed a ticket on such "permanent" fix proposal last October. https://github.com/mate-desktop/libmate ... issues/122 Many people agree with the idea and nobody objects. But real codes must be written for things to change. That takes time and skill.
wpshooter wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:06 pm Hmmmmmm, perhaps they are already trying to fix it for 21.3. I had it reoccur the other day on my 21.2 installation, after I had ran the terminal command to fix it the previous time it had happened.
No, Linux Mint haven't even backported the basic fix for LM 20.3. The another report I filed is still hanging there. https://github.com/linuxmint/linuxmint/issues/614

Your "I had it reoccur the other day" is confusing. You mean your MATE panel suddenly refused to show weather again?
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

You mean your MATE panel suddenly refused to show weather again?

Yes, exactly.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

What did you do before that happen? Not in my machine.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

billyswong wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:34 am What did you do before that happen? Not in my machine.
You don't think I would remember exactly what I had just previously done when this last occurred !!!

However, if I had to give it my best guess, I would tend to say that it occurred just briefly after applying
some updates that were available per update manager. Perhaps you are not a stickler about keeping
your software up-to-date like I am.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

I have now come to the conclusion that at least in some cases this problem with the
weather function not working at various times is due to an outage/malfunctioning of
the weather server that is apparently broadcasting this info most likely from the various
airports located in localities around the country.

Because this morning the info was not being displayed when I had the location set
to my normal setting which is Lynchburg, Virginia and just as soon as I switched
the location to Roanoke, Virginia and rebooted, the info was being displayed just fine.
I tested it twice to be sure and each time I set it to Lynchburg, no info and each time
I set it to Roanoke, it worked fine.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition

Return to “MATE”