21.3 Keyboard in Wayland

Questions about the experimental Wayland support on Linux Mint Cinnamon
Forum rules
Include your system information for help with troubleshooting. Report reproducible issues related to Wayland, whether for Cinnamon, an XApp, a Mint tool or any Linux Mint maintained software on the dedicated issue tracker. Topics in this forum are automatically closed after 6 months.
tenplus1
Level 1
Level 1

21.3 Keyboard in Wayland

Post by tenplus1 »

I installed the newest beta for 21.3 and decided to give wayland a test run, so far everything works well although running up Steam and opening a game resulted in a few keyboard keys not working properly (mainly left and right shift keys). Does wayland use the same keyboard layout as x11 ?
Last edited by SMG on Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: xenopeek: not about programming on Linux Mint; moved to gaming forum SMG: Added "in Wayland" to title and moved to Wayland forum.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: 21.3 Keyboard

Post by SMG »

tenplus1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:23 am Does wayland use the same keyboard layout as x11 ?
Per this linuxmint: Wayland: linuxmint 21.3 csd-keyboard in xwayland mode is missing layouts tab #16 bug report response:
Keyboard layouts aren't supported yet in wayland.
so I'm not sure whether what you are using is the same as X11 or not. I would guess it has not changed, but I don't know how Wayland is interpreting the information it is getting.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
georgek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 21.3 Keyboard in Wayland

Post by georgek »

I also noticed the same problem. Shift & ctrl don't seem to work but it is to be expected as half the system functions are pretty much borked and it is experimental. You'll have proper working wayland functionality on gnome and kde for now, cinnamon is still early in wayland compatibility.
MadWolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MadWolf »

georgek wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:40 am I also noticed the same problem. Shift & ctrl don't seem to work but it is to be expected as half the system functions are pretty much borked and it is experimental. You'll have proper working wayland functionality on gnome and kde for now, cinnamon is still early in wayland compatibility.
ctrl + Shift + V and ctrl + Shift + c in the terminal is working for me but ctrl click is not working
georgek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by georgek »

Yes I should have clarified. Ctrl/Shift + click is indeed the one that I noticed to be the problem.

Return to “Cinnamon on Wayland”