[SOLVED] Swapping left and right monitors causes panel and desktop move to secondary monitor

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Temcat
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Swapping left and right monitors causes panel and desktop move to secondary monitor

Post by Temcat »

I've got a second monitor, it stands to the left of my laptop. By default, it's displayed as the right monitor in Xfce display settings. When I swap the left and right monitors, the panel and desktop move to the second monitor even though the laptop's display is still listed as the primary. Googling suggests that this was filed as a bug some 12 years ago. Does this still not work properly in general?

UPDATE: I was able to solve this by separately configuring the panel, notifications, and desktop icons as follows:
  • Panel Preferences > General > Display > Output > Primary instead of Automatic (you can also explicitly set the monitor you need)
  • Desktop > Icons > Appearance > Show icons on primary display (set the checkbox)
  • Notifications > General > Behavior > Show notifications on: primary display
Note that with desktop icons, it only seems to be possible to make them display on the primary monitor or whichever monitor Xfce chooses. Similarly, the notifications can be set to display either on the primary monitor or on the monitor where the mouse pointer currently is.

The whole thing does not present an optimal experience. IMO, the panel, desktop icons, and notifications should display by default on the primary monitor but allow selecting a specific monitor instead.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GoldenHarp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Swapping left and right monitors causes panel and desktop move to secondary monitor

Post by GoldenHarp »

I was having the same problem and this:

Panel Preferences > General > Display > Output > Primary instead of Automatic (you can also explicitly set the monitor you need)
Desktop > Icons > Appearance > Show icons on primary display (set the checkbox)
Notifications > General > Behavior > Show notifications on: primary display

worked perfectly for me. Thankyou Temcat! I agree it's not ideal though , should be on by default on the primary monitor

Return to “Xfce”